International Education Week

GVL / Sara Carte
The Padnos International Center is open to all students in Lake Ontario Hall on Oct. 3.

Sara Carte

GVL / Sara Carte The Padnos International Center is open to all students in Lake Ontario Hall on Oct. 3.

Taylor Fussman

Students at Grand Valley State University will have the opportunity to experience cultures from all around the world by participating in International Education Week.

International Education Week (IEW) is celebrated on campuses all across the U.S. every year as an opportunity to celebrate the various benefits of international education and exchange worldwide.

This year, IEW occurs from Nov. 16 to Nov. 20, with a specific event occurring on each day of the week to highlight a different region of the world.

“Students who have studied abroad and international students from that region will talk about their experiences and share photos, videos, food and music from the region,” said Alissa Lane, the outreach coordinator at the Padnos International Center. “The event will give students the opportunity to learn more about cultures, languages and student experiences and will also give them the chance to learn about our partner universities in the region.”

Although GVSU has been participating in IEW for several years, this is reportedly the first year study abroad open houses are held along with the other scheduled events.

According to the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, it is the joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Education to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences with the U.S.

Lane said the Padnos International Center sees the importance of celebrating IEW because GVSU is a global community and the diversity at GVSU demonstrates the necessity of IEW.

“Whether you’re an international student, have studied abroad or are just interested in learning more about places and cultures around the world, you’re a part of a diverse group of people and experiences that make GVSU a more interesting place and I think it’s important to highlight that,” Lane said.

Since GVSU is home to over 400 international students, representing over 80 different countries from around the world, IEW will reportedly be a chance for students from several different regions to share their global Laker stories.

“Many students come back from study abroad and are so inspired and enthusiastic about sharing their experiences,” Lane said, “But oftentimes, after their friends and family hear a few stories, there’s no opportunity for students to talk about what they went through. These events give students a chance to talk about their experiences abroad and for others to hear their stories and maybe be inspired to start their own study abroad.”

The week’s events include Latino Dance Night in the Cook-DeWitt Center on Monday at 9 p.m., an International Potluck in the Niemeyer West Living Center on Tuesday at 6 p.m., an International Video Conversation in the Mary Idema Pew Library on Wednesday at 4 p.m., a Global Careers event in the Kirkhof Center on Thursday at 4 p.m. and International Tea and Games in the Kirkhof Center on Friday at 3 p.m.

For more information about International Education Week, visit www.eca.state.gov/programs-initiatives/international-education-week.