Student senate happenings for January

Student Senate

Student senate happenings

Calling All Lakers

Student senate is still accepting senator applications for the winter term. Senate is a student governing body on campus that works to make Grand Valley State University the best campus it can be.

Visit student senate’s website (www.gvsu.edu/studentsenate) to apply or stop by their general assemblies on Thursdays at 4:30 p.m .in the Pere Marquette Room of the Kirkhof Center to see what it is all about.

Teach-In

All of the student senators extend a huge thank you to GVSU for the record attendance of 1,500+ people at this years’ Teach-In. They appreciate those who presented and those who participated in various dialogues, activities around topics related to inequality and systems of oppression.

Public Opinion Day

Student senate had its first Public Opinion Day of the semester last week. Each month, senate has two Public Opinion Days that are designed to help get student input on various projects that senate is working on. Look out for tables in the Kirkhof Center to fill out a quick survey and receive a giveaway item.

Transportation Committee

Student senate was given the opportunity to meet with the Rapid to discuss the bus system with a student perspective. This past meeting had different topics such as reexamining how busy the 37 route is and revamping the sidewalk across Fulton Street near the downtown campus. There was also discussion of the impacts that the redesigning 48th Avenue may cause to the bus system next fall, especially with new apartment complexes going up over the summer. Lastly, the Laker Line will soon be connecting to the Silver Line, which will hopefully reduce travel time even more. Please contact Vice President Sean O’Melia at [email protected] with any suggestions or questions for the Rapid.

Food Committee

Each month, student senate and campus dining come together to discuss issues related to on-campus food. At the last meeting, topics included dining hours downtown, chains on campus, Fresh Food Co. growth next fall and campus dining’s new dietary program. The next meeting will take place Feb. 23 in Kirkhof Center Room 2201 at 4 p.m. Students are welcome to the meeting with any criticisms or ideas.

Health Care Resolution

On Jan. 28, a resolution regarding health care for transgender individuals was brought before the general assembly of student senate. The resolution includes “student support for the inclusion of the needs of transgender individuals in the student health insurance plan, which include, but are not limited to, gender confirmation surgery and hormone replacement therapy.” Resolutions are simply to show support and senators use them to show administration that the issue is important to students. Student senate welcomes all students to stop by general assembly.

Voter Registration

Student senate will be registering people to vote the following dates and times in the Kirkhof Center:

Thursday, Feb. 4: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Dickinson Visit Part Two

Student senate will be hosting another visit from Dickinson Elementary School students. Dickinson Elementary is a Grand Rapids Public School located in an area of high poverty. Students come for a visit to be encouraged to pursue higher education. Please contact Malayna Hasmanis at [email protected] for more information on how to volunteer.

These monthly updates are brought to you by student senate. For more information about student senate, please visit them in person or online:

Office: 0040 Kirkhof Center

Telephone number: (616)331-2333

Email: [email protected]

Website: www.gvsu.edu/studentsenate

Twitter: @GVStudentSenate