Laker Life Briefs 1/14

Amy McNeel

Exhibit to explore human rights and water crises 

In recent years. the water crisis in Flint, Mich. has captured the attention of the nation. However, Flint isn’t the only area facing a water crisis. From contaminated water to a lack of supply, the world is facing a decrease in access to clean water. 

On Monday, Jan. 14 two Grand Valley State University faculty members, Dr. Paola León and Dr. Steven Smith, are hosting an exhibit to expose the water crises happening in Flint, Mich. and El Salvador. 

Dr. Paola León organized the El Salvador portion of the exhibit, which focuses on contamination of water by the mining industry and the absence of running water in homes. The Flint portion of the exhibit was organized by Dr. Steven Smith, and goes over the continued struggle of the City of Flint’s contaminated water supply. 

The exhibit will be open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. at the Richard M. Devos Center Blue Wall Gallery. It is an ongoing exhibit taking place every week day through June. To see a list of specific dates, visit https://www.gvsu.edu/events/water-human-right-or-commodity:4. 

GV to host QPR suicide prevention training 

According to the American College Health Association, suicide is the second most common cause of death among college students. To help combat this statistic, Grand Valley State University is holding a suicide prevention training event. 

The program, titled Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR), will be held at the Kirkhof Center room 2270 on Wednesday, Jan. 23 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. QPR aims to dispel stigmas and common misconceptions surrounding suicide, as well as teach students to recognize warning signs. 

QPR is a nationally recognized method of suicide prevention that helps students feel empowered to save lives. It also gives students both multicultural and social perspectives on suicide prevention. The event is LIB 100 approved. 

Co-op and Internship Fair planned for STEM students 

On Friday, Jan. 25, students are invited to attend the Engineering Co-op and Internship Fair. The fair is open to students of all class standings in engineering, math, statistics, information systems, physics and computer science. 

At the event, students will have time to network with employers and explore possible co-ops, internships and entry level positions. The fair is a formal networking event, so attendees should come prepared. Students are urged to dress professionally, bring a resume, take notes and be ready to participate in on-the-spot interviews. 

The event will take place at 301 West Fulton Street, Grand Rapids, Mich. from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information, contact Chris Babbit at [email protected].