Arts Briefs

University Arts Chorale and Cantate Chamber Ensemble Concert

At 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the Cook-DeWitt Center, the University Arts Choarale and the Cantate Chamber Ensemble will perform. The University Arts Chorale conducted by professor Ellen Pool has 44 members and will be performing pieces by Felix Mendelssohn, Kevin Memley, Kim Arnesen, Jozef Swider and one piece including percussion called “Balleilakka” from the Southern Indian province of Tamil Nadu. The Cantate Chamber Ensemble performs without a conductor, but trains with professor Ellen Pool. Their 16 singers will be performing a cappella music ranging from the early 17th century pieces to vocal jazz. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, go to www.gvsu.edu/music.

University Singers and Select Women’s Ensemble Concert

The University Singers and the Select Women’s Ensemble will be performing in a joint concert at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 20 in the Louis Armstrong Theatre in the Performing Arts Center. Directed by James Metzler, 90 percent of University Singers are non-music majors. Select Women’s Ensemble has been in existence for five years and is directed by professor Ellen Pool. They perform both accompanied pieces and a cappella from a variety of musical periods and styles.

The Sketches That Lived

At 7 p.m. on Oct. 21 in the Wealthy Theatre, the Creative Youth Center will present a performance written and inspired by their youth members and performed by professional adult actors. The show is based on sketches and monologues created by students in a summer workshop led by Amy Gascon, local playwright and improv comedian. For more information visit www.grcmc.org/theatre/cyc.

Spotlight Productions Presents: Jay Pharoah & Aidy Bryant from “Saturday Night Live”

Performing in the Fieldhouse Arena at 8 p.m. on Oct. 22, Jay Pharoah and Aidy Bryant from “Saturday Night Live” will be this year’s homecoming show presented by Spotlight Productions. Jay Pharoah, is an actor, stand-up comedian, impressionist, rapper and voice actor. He is known for his impressions of President Barack Obama, Jay Z, Denzel Washington, Kanye West and others. Pharoah recently played roles in “Ride Along” with Kevin Hart and Ice Cube, “Get a Job,” Chris Rock’s film “Top Five” and the Independent Film “Intramural.” Aidy Bryant has been with “Saturday Night Live” since 2012. She received an Emmy nomination for the SNL digital short “(Do It On My) Twin Bed” and Entertainment Weekly recognized her with their fan favorite EWwy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy. Tickets are $10 for students, or $15 the day of the event. Tickets are available at the 20/20 Desk and at www.startickets.com