News Briefs: GVSU Mock Interviews

Drew Howard

Marketing students begin projects with Grand Rapids businesses

Marketing students at Grand Valley State University are getting real-life experience in their field after agreeing to work with the Grand Rapids Children’s Museum and Family Friends Vet Hospital in Grand Rapids.

The students will be conducting online surveys for both the GRCM and vet hospital that will help the organizations more effectively reach their current and potential customers.

The projects began on Feb. 2 when GVSU students met with marketing specialists and managers from the GRCM and vet hospital. Research findings are expected to be presented by the students in April.

GVSU Mock Interviews

Delta Sigma Pi and the American Marketing Association will be hosting free mock interviews for Grand Valley State University students looking to sharpen their interview skills.

The one-on-one mock interview will last 20 minutes and include questions that real employers are likely to ask. Students will also be given feedback on their performance following the interview.

“GVSU Mock Interviews” is set to take place from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. on Feb. 17 in the Loosemore Forum, located at the L. William Seidman Center.

Appointments are limited, and walk-ins will be accepted only on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Recording artist and philanthropist David Banner to visit GVSU

Recording artist, philanthropist, actor and civic activist David Banner will be visiting Grand Valley State University to give a presentation celebrating Black History Month on Feb. 15.

Banner is the owner of the multimedia company A Banner Vision and was most recently featured in the film “Ride Along 2.”

In his presentation, Banner will address the campus community on topics such as police brutality, protests and education, among others.

“Professionals of Color Lectures Series: David Banner,” is LIB 100/201 approved and will take place from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room.

For more information about the event, visit the Office of Multicultural Affairs website.

GVS(You) Week thank-you note writing

Grand Valley State University students will be given the opportunity to write thank-you letters to university donors as a part of the annual GVS(You) Week.

Now entering its fourth year, GVS(You) Week was created as a way to pay acknowledgment to all people, regardless of their donation size, who support GVSU financially.

The Future Alumni Association will have a table set up in the Kirkhof Center where students can write thank-you notes to alumni donors. The table will be open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Feb. 16 and 17. There will be another table set up in DeVos C at the Pew Campus from 1:30 to 5 p.m. on Feb. 18.

Spike Lee’s “School Daze” to be screened on campus

Spike Lee’s “School Daze” will be screened for the campus community at the next installment of “Black Movie Wednesdays” at Grand Valley State University on Feb. 17.

Based in part on Lee’s own experiences at different universities, “School Daze” is a musical/comedy/drama that hones in on the issue of racism based on skin tone and hair color within the African American community.

The screening of “School Daze” is set to take place from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Room 2263.