Editors’ pick: summer reading list

Editors pick: summer reading list

Lanthorn Staff

Summer is in full swing in Michigan, and Grand Valley State University students have gotten the chance to unwind, unpack and catch up on all the sleep they missed out on during the past semester. Of course, that also means that college students have had time to become bored. Yes, many GVSU students are working hard this summer, but there’s always that dreaded moment when students are off the clock, are all caught up on their Netflix shows, and can’t find a way to keep themselves occupied.

At the Lanthorn, we’re a little bit biased (we do, after all, make a newspaper), but we think one of the best ways to bide your time this summer is to spend some quality time between the pages of a book.

So we asked our editorial staff for some book recommendations. For a bunch of bibliophiles like us, this is a little bit like asking us to pick a favorite child, but we tried our hardest to pick some books that our fellow Lakers would enjoy. Feel free to add your own summer reading recommendations in the comment section of this article online at www.lanthorn.com or tweet them to @GVLanthorn.

Hannah Lentz, news editor:

On Writing. A memoir of the craft

By Stephen King

Whether you are a fan of King’s writing or not, his memoir follows the process King went through to get to where he is today, from drug addictions to relationships. The book also gives tips to becoming a successful writer that are very down to earth and realistic. Additionally, the book is laced with King’s dark sense of humor providing an even more entertaining read. Enjoy!

Stephanie Brzezinski, associate editor:

The Great Gatsby

By F. Scott Fitzgerald

If I had to choose, I would say college students should read The Great Gatsby. I read it as a senior in high school, but it is a book that continues as a classic. It is a story about class differences, love and the American Dream, all of which are still relevant in today’s world. The storytelling format is another thing that makes it good. The narrator is not the main character, but rather an observer into the mysterious life of Jay Gatsby.

Audra Gamble, editor-in-chief:

Brave New World

By Aldous Huxley

Huxley’s novel is set far in the future, in a dystopian society where there is no need for parents or true emotion. Everything is programmed for humans by the 10 World Controllers, and happiness is always guaranteed. However, when Bernard and Lenina, from the drug-induced, carefree society find themselves taking a trip to a “savage reservation,” everything changes.

At the reservation, they meet John, who has grown up far away from this manufactured society. John is the antithesis to the mellow culture Bernard and Lenina know. He feels everything strongly, likes to think for himself and, horror of horrors, is a fan of Shakespeare.

John the Savage makes Bernard and Lenina (and the reader) question whether the ability to think for oneself is worth the potential social disruption individuality can cause.

Adam Knorr, sports editor:

In Cold Blood: A True Account of a Multiple Murder and Its Consequences

By Truman Capote

Truman Capote’s magnum opus a gripping, detailed account of the 1959 quadruple murder of Herbert Clutter and his family in a rural Kansas farmhouse. In Cold Blood is the most comprehensive work regarding the murders, and is billed as a non-fiction novel the first of its kind. Capote mixes suspense and shock in this truly impressive example of reporting and writing.

Fun fact: Capote was the inspiration for the character “Dill” in To Kill a Mockingbird. Capote and Harper Lee were childhood best friends.

Maddie Forshee, Laker Life editor:

The Martian

By Andy Wier

The Martian is a story about an astronaut who gets abandoned on Mars after his crew leaves him, so he has to figure out how to survive. It’s really interesting and a pretty easy read. The science that goes into it is broken down into simple terms, which is great, because not everyone is an astronautical engineer. It’s also being made into a movie – so read it now before it hits theaters!

Kevin Sielaff, image editor:

All Quiet on the Western Front

By Erich Maria Remarque

All Quiet on the Western Front, the legendary account of Paul Baumer, truly is a must read for those interested in history. The main protagonist, Baumer, is based off of the author Erich Maria Remarque as he relives the horrors of World War I with pen and paper.

Fueled by provocative imagery, All Quiet on the Western Front allows the reader an inside look at how mechanized warfare provoked the tragic undertakings of World War I.

For those out there interested in cause-and-effect based history, All Quiet on the Western Front provides a gripping tale that is both emotional and pensive.

Claire Fisher, A&E editor:

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

By Douglas Adams

This book begins with the destruction of the Earth and a man’s discovery that his best friend is an alien. He is then taken on a journey through space where he meets bureaucratic aliens, a manically-depressed robot, the president of the galaxy, and discovers the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

While it seems like a typical science fiction novel, it is also a hilarious commentary on life. Adams writes with a dry, ironic, yet ridiculous humor that hits at awkward truths about life, while remaining entertaining. When you need a good laugh and a break from taking life too seriously, this is the book to read.

T.J. Zimmerman, web manager:

A Storm of Swords

By George R. R. Martin

The most captivating, intriguing, and all-around best book that I have ever read is A Storm of Swords, and the addendum series A Song of Ice and Fire, by George RR Martin. Many of you have already been introduced to this series through the critically acclaimed HBO show, A Game of Thrones. However, the show, while enjoyable, does not contest at all to the quality of these novels.

A Song of Ice and Fire is not your typical fantasy series; the story is literary, epic, believable, and absolutely unpredictable. While fantasy has been ridiculed for decades for following the same generic code of good versus evil with overtly hunkish heroes, flawed magic systems, and laughable philosophical premises, Martin has been dubbed, with affection, the trope buster. He introduces a brand new schema to the genre. And I promise it won’t disappoint.