GVSU prepares for senior day against Wayne State

GVL / Archive
Freshman Kirk Spencer carries the ball

GVL / Archive Freshman Kirk Spencer carries the ball

Brady Fredericksen

At this point, it seems like every week is a do-or-die game for the Grand Valley State University football team.

Last week’s thumping of rival Hillsdale College moved the Lakers into a tie for first place in the GLIAC North and a win Saturday over Wayne State University will only help the Lakers’ postseason hopes.

Luckily, the similarities between Hillsdale and Wayne State (5-3, 5-3 GLIAC) bode well for a resurgent GVSU (7-2, 6-2 GLIAC) defense — something Mitchell hopes can be a factor during senior day on Saturday.

“I’m hoping that we have consistency from last week to this week in our personnel and I do think there will be some carryover schematically,” he said. “We won’t have to go from a Ferris State option to some other type of attack. I’m hoping our players can use the experiences they had on Saturday, to build off of those to move forward against Wayne State.”

Moving forward against Wayne State is going to center around stopping a ground-and-pound attack for the second-straight week. After controlling Hillsdale tailback Joe Glendening last week, the Lakers will now have to deal with Wayne State tailback Toney Davis.

Leaned upon throughout the Warriors’ Cinderella run to the NCAA Division II National Championship game last season, the junior is currently the GLIAC’s sixth-leading rusher with 894 yards and 13 touchdowns. Sophomore tailback Desmond Martin, who ran three times for 121 yards last week against Ferris State University is a threat as well.

“We’re not out of the woods yet when it comes to our rush defense. We have made some improvements, but we’re not quite the ’85 Bears yet on that side of the ball, so we’ve got to do a good job this week of getting off the field so we can get our offense back on the field — it’s going to be a challenge that way.”

While his numbers this season say differently, the GVSU defense will also have to plan for Wayne State quarterback Mickey Mohner. The senior has throw just six touchdowns this season after throwing 25 last season, but he and receiver Dominique Maybanks have proven they are capable of doing more than just complimenting the Davis-led rushing attack.

“We were coming from rock bottom, so we’re not quite there yet. I still look at the tape and there are still some things we’re making mistakes on that we shouldn’t make mistakes on,” Mitchell said of his defense. “So we’ve got to keep coaching them and the player’s have got to keep making adjustments. We can still be better on that side of the ball, I’m convinced of it, and we need to be as we progress in these last few games.”

The Lakers will again be without the full assistance of key players on both sides. Junior tailback Hersey Jackson will undergo season-ending surgery this week, while linebacker Charles Hill, who broke his wrist against Northwood, has been limited with the injury.

Hill’s status has given linebackers Luther Ware and Sam Power most of the reps at linebakcer with a mix of Hill and freshman Brad Horling, who has seen time at linebacker and safety.

GVSU will also be making some changes on the offensive line. Right tackle Tyler Moran, who was originally recruited as a tight end, moves back to the position as sophomore Eric LaBuhn moves into the starting lineup at right tackle.

The move has allowed the offense to get a little creative with freshman tight end Jamie Potts. An option quarterback in high school, Potts now has a package with some wildcat looks in the fold going forward. Despite the late-season shuffling of players, the change has done little to affect the offense.

“Everyone in our room prepares like they’re a starter. That’s kind of the whole thing with the offense — everyone is there to be there as a starter,” said senior offensive tackle Andrew Biedenbender. “It’s not like it’s a big deal for us when someone else comes in … everyone is prepared to be called upon.”

While a win over Wayne State potentially creates a de facto GLIAC North title game against Saginaw Valley State University next week, the Lakers hope to send their seniors off right — and the seniors hope make the best of their final home game.

“It’s definitely just going to be a big deal. This might be our last game ever at Lubbers,” Biedenbender said. “You know, running out of that tunnel for the first time when you’re a freshman, get all hyped up and do that, this could be the last time you do that, so you’ve really got to soak (it) in.”

The Lakers will take the field on senior day at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on ESPN 96.1 FM and followed on Twitter GVLSports.
sports
lanthorn.com