GVSU inaugurates $85M ‘Laker Effect’ fundraising campaign

Emily Doran

With the goal of promoting student success now and in the future, Grand Valley State University has initiated a comprehensive $85 million fundraising campaign known as the “Laker Effect.” The funds acquired through this effort will be allocated to three different initiatives categorized as Opportunity, Achievement and Relevance.

“The Laker Effect comprehensive campaign is needed to help all students succeed and to give employers access to the exceptional talent they need and expect from Grand Valley,” said Karen Loth, vice president for university development, in a written statement. “It is about the transformative power of our university for our students and our community and the potential to do so much more. We call this ‘the power of what can be.’”

In the Opportunity category, $25 million of the total goal amount will go toward donor-funded scholarships. The objective of this initiative, Loth said, is “to help students start” at GVSU.

Another $8 million from the campaign will be allocated to student success programs, such as tutoring, mentoring, counseling and leadership development. The objective of this initiative is to help GVSU students successfully navigate their college careers all the way through graduation.

The remaining $52 million dollars will be invested in academic programs and facilities to maintain their relevance into the future. Of this amount, $30 million is being used to expand the Grand Rapids health campus, which began with the construction of Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall, which is expected to be completed in May 2018.

To learn more about the Laker Effect comprehensive campaign and ways to donate, visit www.gvsu.edu/giving/.