GV College of Education celebrates 50th anniversary

The Grand Valley State University College of Education is turning 50 this year. To celebrate, the university held an award ceremony Aug. 12 to honor 12 alumni from the College of Education with the Laker Blue Apple award. All honorees are educators.

The College of Education will continue its celebrations throughout the academic year. These events include lectures, panel discussions and a reflection of the past 50 years, occurring in March. To find a full list of upcoming events from the College of Education, visit www.gvsu.edu/coe/50th.

GV students create video for the state of Michigan

Six Grand Valley State University students and two professors created a video called “Tapping In – Stop. Think. Connect.” for the Department of Homeland Security. The students worked for months on the video at the request of the West Michigan Cyber Security Consortium.

The video focuses on staying safe on the internet and features local tap dancers, animated graphics and a song. The video may be found on YouTube on the West Michigan Cyber Security Consortium’s channel.

Grab some ice cream with T. Haas

Grand Valley State University President Thomas J. Haas and his wife, Marcia Haas, will be serving ice cream to students and their families as they move into their dorms on Aug. 20. Haas and his wife will be by Kleiner Commons starting at 10 a.m. Additionally, Shelley Padnos will be helping families move in from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Padnos is a member of the GVSU Board of Trustees.

Great Lakes being affected by climate change

According to Kevin Strychar, an associate professor at Grand Valley State University’s Annis Water Resources Institute, the Great Lakes are taking a beating because of climate change. Strychar was a part of a team of authors that penned the report “Science, Education, and Outreach Roadmap for Natural Resources,” from the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. In the report, it is stated that the Great Lakes are now more suitable for invasive species and infectious pathogens. Additionally, there may be some negative impacts to recreational value and drinking water potential.