GVSU dedicates student veterans’ lounge

GVL / Hannah Mico. Retired U.S. Army Colonel Jill Chambers was a guest at breakfast Monday morning, and spoke of her work with veterans and their issues with post traumatic stress.

Hannah Lentz

President Thomas J. Haas hosted a breakfast on Veteran’s Day for more than 80 students, faculty and staff members to officially dedicate the new student veterans’ lounge at Grand Valley State University.

The lounge is located on the second floor of the Kirkhof Center and will serve as a meeting place for more than 500 GVSU students who are active military members or veterans.

“Symbols are important and this lounge is a symbol of the value that we put on our veterans,” Haas said. “These people have sacrificed so much and this is something we, as a university, can do to say thank you.”

The event on Monday included presentations from country artists and military veterans Michael Peterson and Jill Chambers, as well as presentations of past experiences and future endeavors of American veterans.

Haas addressed additional efforts recently made for GVSU veterans, such as the military appreciation football game, red, white and blue honor cords for graduating seniors and new programs and fields of studies for veterans.

The university is currently a member of the Consortium of Michigan Veteran Educators, a statewide network of two and four-year universities which work to support military members and veterans and provide access to resources that can lead to employment.

The new lounge for veterans will include a TV for recreational purposes, walls adorned with past military medals and a space for military-affiliated individuals to meet and talk throughout the semester.

“The lounge provides an opportunity for veterans to tell their story and continue their story even after their years of service,” Haas said.