GV buildings recognized as leaders in environmental sustainability

GVL / Brianna Olsen

GVL / Brianna Olsen

Duane Emery

Kermit the frog said “It isn’t easy being green,” but Grand Valley State University is working toward a greener and more sustainable future.

Recently, GVSU became the first campus in Michigan to be awarded LEED Platinum status by the U.S. Green Building Council with the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.

“Being more sustainable is a way to assure a future for the next generation,” said James Moyer, the associate vice president for facilities planning at GVSU. “Each time we consciously or unconsciously make a choice that consumes less resources is a positive act for the future.”

The library uses a number of techniques to be sustainable and cost effective, Moyer said. These include cost effective lighting with automatic dimmer switches, wall panels made from scrap wood, water efficient fixtures, storm water management systems and carbon dioxide sensors, among others.

Moyer put the cost of these technologies into perspective.

“If an item costs a few pennies more initially that saves dollars for the next 20 years, it is a step along a more sustainable path,” he said, adding that GVSU will continue to seek LEED certification in future building projects and renovations.

“If we manage to construct a more energy efficient structure, it results in a lower cost to operate the building. This in turn translates to a long term reduction in cost to the students,” Moyer said.

The library is not the only facility to be recognized for its achievements in sustainability. Engrained, a campus dining restaurant in the Connection, is one of only five restaurants in the state to be green certified by the Green Restaurant Association.

“This building was planned from the start with sustainability in mind,” said Aaron Johnson, the food service director and campus dining sustainability manager.

Johnson said they achieve sustainability through local purchasing, energy efficient equipment, reusable dining ware and compostable to-go boxes, as well as integrating new efforts as they become available. According to Johnson, these achievements are an important part of sustainability awareness and participation.

“It is important to recognize all the hard work that we do toward sustainability,” Johnson said. “(We want) to be a leading example in the industry and to educate our guests so they understand the contribution they make toward sustainable efforts when they choose to dine with us.”

Sustainability-centered construction is an important part of GVSU’s efforts to be a green campus, but it is only one part of a continuous process.

“Certification (in the GRA) was a four-month process,” Johnson said. “Living our intentions is ongoing.”