News briefs: Asian American civil rights defender honored by state of Michigan

ASIAN AMERICAN CIVIL RIGHTS DEFENDER HONORED BY STATE OF MICHIGAN

Fred Korematsu, defender of Japanese American civil rights, was the first Asian American to receive the

honor of having a whole day – January 30 – named after him by the State of Michigan.

Korematsu, who died in 2005, was known for his conviction by the U.S. Supreme Court after refusing to

report to an assembly center following the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Korematsu later moved to Michigan and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Bill Clinton.

The life of Korematsu was celebrated in part by Grand Valley State University at an event on Jan. 30. The event included a documentary of Korematsu’s life as well as a panel of speakers.

For more information about the event, go to www.gvsu.ed/oma.

OPERA THEATRE SCHEDULES PERFORMANCES OF STEVEN SONDHEIM’S “COMPANY”

Grand Valley State University Opera Theatre will perform Steven Sondheim’s critically acclaimed “Company” during the first week of February. “Company” is a musical comedy that centers on a man trying to find true love while also trying to balance three separate girlfriends at the same time.

Performances take place at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 6 and 7 and at 2 p.m. on Feb. 8 inside the Louis

Armstrong Theatre, located at the Performing Arts Center.Tickets cost $14 dollars for adults, $12 dollars for senior citizens, faculty, staff and alumni and $6 for students. Tickets at the door cost an extra $1.

For more information, go to www.gvsu.edu/theatre.

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

The Office of Multicultural Affairs has planned a variety of events to celebrate Black History Month at

Grand Valley State University. An event titled “A Tribute to Black Women: Strong, Fierce and Dynamic Divas,” will honor women who made their mark on history through a collection of song, dance and poetry. The celebration will take place noon-1 p.m. on Feb. 13 in the Pere Marquette Room at the Kirkhof Center.

There will also be a performance by Step Afrika! in which performers will combine old, traditional

techniques in a dance that employs the body as its own instrument. The event will take place from 9 p.m. 11 p.m. on Feb. 16 inside the Cook-DeWitt Center.

All events are free to the public. For more information on additional events planned, go to www.gvsu.edu/oma.

DARK GIRLS SCREENING

A screening of the documentary Dark Girls will be the focus of discussion at an event hosted by the

Grand Valley State University Chapter of the N.A.A.C.P.

Dark Girls, which goes in depth on the discrimination against women with dark skin, will be played in

short sequences allowing for in-depth discussion between students and faculty.

The event will take place on Monday, Feb. 2 from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Room 2263 at the Kirkhof Center.

For more information, contact Antonio Bailey at (248)-251-5374 or [email protected].

VIRTUAL CHAT

Prospective Grand Valley State University business students can participate in an online virtual chat to

ask questions about the Full-Time Integrated M.B.A. program.

Features of the Full-Time Integrated M.B.A. program include ways for students to complete their M.B.A.

in 14 months, a one-week study program in Washington D.C. and a 93% employment rate with an

average income of over $55,000.

The online chat will be available for students on Tuesday, Feb. 3 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

For more information, contact Tracey James-Heer at (616)-331-2025 or [email protected].