News briefs Oct. 10

Study Abroad Fair

The Padnos International Center at Grand Valley State University will hold its annual study abroad fair Tuesday, Oct. 11. The event will take place in Kirkhof Center Room 2250 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Students in attendance will learn about all of the study abroad programs the center has to offer. They will also have the chance to talk to students who have participated in the programs in years prior. Questions regarding funding, program selection and academic credit will all be answered. The event is LIB 100 approved.

Columbus Day Panel

A panel discussion will be held Monday, Oct. 10 to discuss the holiday known as Columbus Day in the U.S. The discussion will be held in the Cook-DeWitt Center from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Panelists will discuss colonization of the Americas and the social and historical impact it has had, including current movements challenging the holiday itself. Students are encouraged to ask questions and interact with the panel throughout the discussion. The event is LIB 100/201 approved and will also include a portion on cultural teachings and a native drum circle.

Projecting Professional Presence

Communication expert Rob Pocock will host a workshop on professional interaction Tuesday, Oct. 11 in Kirkhof Center Room 2270. The workshop will cover interpersonal communication, goal-setting and how to create clear messages. Attendees will participate in hands-on activities to strengthen their interpersonal communication skills. The event will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and can be used as PSS development credit. To register for the workshop, visit www.gvsu.edu/sprout.

Fresh From the Farm

Grand Valley State University professor Amy McFarland will host a workshop at the Sustainable Agriculture Project Farm Tuesday, Oct. 11. Students will participate in a garden walk and learn about the farm. Students will also participate in a discussion about agriculture, food and sustainability.

Activities will include a how-to on producing harvest and cooking it. The event will take place from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. To RSVP for the event, contact [email protected]