Ottawa County responds to reported sexual assault of GV student

GVL / Kevin Sielaff - Sgt. Jeff Stoll wraps up the night shift by entering reports into his in-car computer on Oct. 25.

GVL / Kevin Sielaff – Sgt. Jeff Stoll wraps up the night shift by entering reports into his in-car computer on Oct. 25.

Hannah Lentz

At approximately 12:35 a.m. Friday morning, the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department responded to a reported sexual assault of a female GVSU student along 48th Avenue, south of West Campus Drive. It was reported to the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department that three males approached the victim from an unknown direction.

Police are in communication with the victim-survivor to identity suspects and gain more information.

“A safety notice was sent out to the campus community to make them aware that there was a reported assault that had taken place near campus,” said GVPD Capt. Brandon DeHaan. “We want the community to be aware.”

The report remains under investigation by Ottawa County and the GVSU Police Department.

If students know someone who is in need of supportive services, GVSU offers several forms of help. The GVSU Women’s Center offers a Victim Advocate who provides private and non-biased support to student survivors of gender-based violence. The YMCA offers crisis help, short term respite, counseling and a nurse examiner program at no cost. For assistance, call the Sexual Assault Program’s 24-hour hotline at (616) 776-7273.

Additionally, the Center for Women in Transition in Holland offers nurse examinations, sexual assault case management and legal advocacy and trauma therapy. Call (616) 392-1970 or the 24-hour crisis line at (800) 848-5991 for more information. The Campus Health Center is also available for students at (616) 252-6030 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Anyone with information concerning this incident is encouraged to contact the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department, Grand Valley Police Department at (616) 331-5000 or Ottawa County Silent Observer at (877) 88-SILENT.