News Briefs 11/19

County Board of Commissioners, Student Senate discusses transportation into Allendale

Between public comments during the Ottawa County Board of Commissioners meeting Thursday, Nov. 15 and discussion during the following Student Senate meeting, the topic of student transportation into Allendale is being discussed. 

One Allendale resident spoke of her counseling center’s collaboration with Grand Valley State University’s Counseling Center, but a lack of a bus route there makes it difficult for students to receive those services.

Student Senate President Rachel Jenkin said that the issue has been around for the past decade. When brought up, Senators discussed ideas including a student-employed shuttle — similar to those of off-campus housing — and a bus sponsored in part by contributions from businesses west of 48th Avenue. 

No conclusion was reached at either meeting and conversations are ongoing.

S.A.F.E. Award nominations open for students

GVSU’s Student Award for Faculty Excellence is currently open for public nominations. The S.A.F.E. Award nomination form can be filled out on Laker Link until Nov. 29, when they will be reviewed. 

The award recognizes faculty members that go above and beyond in making an impact on students. Last year’s award winner was announced at Presidents’ Ball, with the award being given to Assistant Professor David Clark.

To fill out the form, either type “SAFE Award” in the forms search bar on Laker Link or visit https://gvsu.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/form/start/234574

MIOSHA partners with GV, Pioneer Construction for safe construction

The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) has partnered with Grand Valley State University and Pioneer Construction to strive for a safe construction of GVSU’s Michigan Street Development project downtown. The signed agreement sets goals to be met to ensure there are no worker injuries or accidents throughout the construction process.

In addition to MIOSHA safety standards, the agreement includes measures to ensure fall protection for distances over 6 feet, usage of hard hats, eye protection and high-visibility clothing and crane operator certifications. All workers must also attend a project safety orientation. 

The project surrounding the agreement includes GVSU’s new $57.5 million building connected to the Center for Health Sciences.

Michigan Board of State Canvassers meets to certify Proposal 1, tentative legalization set for Dec. 6

The Michigan Board of State Canvassers is set to certify the vote of Proposal 1, which legalizes recreational marijuana. The proposal, which passed this past midterm election, will go into effect Dec. 6 if certified during the board’s meeting Nov. 26. 

Proposal 1 legalizes the possession, usage and growth of recreational marijuana for persons over the age of 21. This includes being able to carry 2.5 ounces and keep both 10 ounces and 12 plants at home. 

While soon to be legalized around the state, Grand Valley State University announced that they would not allow its use on campus. Because of the university’s federal funding, GVSU cannot allow marijuana use on campus until it’s nationally legalized.