Testing maturity

Testing maturity

There are more than 7 billion people in the world, 318 million people in the U.S., almost 10 million people in Michigan and over 25,000 students at Grand Valley State University. Even though we West-siders are known for our friendly faces and Laker pride, the truth of the matter is that we are not all going to like each other. 

From political views and religious affiliations to what pizza toppings belong on a pizza, there’s a lot for us to argue about.  However, the way we go about discussing opposing views is where the true test of maturity lies. It’s easy to yell back and forth, it’s much harder to have an in depth and educational conversation. 

At a recent GVSU student senate general assembly meeting, an issue regarding the details of voting policies was brought up. After deliberation and discussion as well as a detailed look at the rules themselves, the senate was able to decide that no further disciplinary action was needed. 

We want to commend the student senate, specifically members of the election committee, for how they handled an uncomfortable situation. The discussion at general assembly included public comment, discussion from the student body and a true example of questioning a critical set of rules. It’s important to keep asking questions and holding those in leadership roles responsible, but it’s also important to practice constructive conversation. A lot of times, it’s easy to jump to conclusions instead of talking it out like adults. 

When we leave college and join the professional world, a crucial skill we need to have is how to interact with people we agree with and people we don’t. Whether that comes about from a disagreement with a boss or a coworker, we have to know how to approach difficult confrontations. 

A lot of times, we see headlines talking about tasteless arguments between people in politics. From false accusations to personal attacks, we should look to these instances as a learning experience. We are the next generation of leaders, of political representatives and professional bosses so it is up to us to set ourselves up for success now. 

All this said, there are times where further action is necessary. If you ever feel as though you are witnessing something blatantly unfair or unjust, it is important to report these instances to the proper authority. 

So continue to think critically and comprehensively. We love our Laker community and it’s up to us to make sure that we continue to uphold the GVSU standard in all aspects.