News Briefs: Religion and superheroes meet in upcoming presentation

“How to Find an Internship” event

Grand Valley State University students looking to get an edge on the competition in today’s workforce are encouraged to attend the “How to Find an Internship” event taking place on Sept. 30.

At the event, internship supervisors working with area employers will teach students strategies for not only finding an internship but succeeding at it as well.

The event is scheduled to take place from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Kirkhof Center Room 2263. Students attending are suggesting to wear business attire and come prepared with some resumes.

For more information, contact the GVSU Career Center at (616) 331-3311 or [email protected].

Religion and superheroes meet in upcoming presentation

An upcoming presentation from University of Toronto religious studies professor Ken Derry will make connections between the story lines of today’s most popular superheroes with classic themes found in religious tales.

Titled, “Tony Stark Wants to Save the World! Religion, Violence and Superheroes,” Derry’s presentation will highlight the similarities between the actions of superhero Tony Stark in 2008’s Iron Man with the story of the Messiah liberating the Jewish people from their oppression in the Bible.

The presentation is scheduled to take place at noon Sept. 28 inside the Mary Idema Pew Library Multipurpose Room.

Derry is also available to talk to at a workshop from 2 p.m. to 2:30 in Room 1142 of the Kirkhof Center.

For more information, contact Sarah King, religious studies program coordinator, at [email protected] or (616) 331-8049.

Indian poet set to present at GVSU

Indian poet Rati Saxena is scheduled to perform both a poetry reading a presentation focusing on Hindi and Vedic poetry on Sept. 29 and 30.

Saxena is the author of 11 collections of poetry as well as the director of the Krytia International Poetry Festival. As a part of the 2015 Fall Arts Celebration, Saxena’s presentations will aim to teach students, faculty and staff about the arts from a different culture.

Saxena’s poetry reading “Dreaming in Another Land” will take place at 7 p.m. Sept. 29 in the Cook-DeWitt Auditorium.

Her presentation “The Seed of Mind, the Vedic Poetry,” is scheduled for 7 p.m. Sept. 30 in the Loosemore Auditorium located in the DeVos Center.

For more information, contact Zulema Moret at [email protected].

Change U registration now open

Students, faculty, staff and community members interested in registering for Change U: Social Justice Training can sign up for the free program.

Organized by the Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center, the Change U: Social Justice Training is purposed with providing a space for community members to learn and discuss social justice issues occurring in today’s society through two, three-hour sessions each month throughout the year.

The first session, “Understanding and Practicing Intersectionality,” is free and open to the public from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Oct. 8 in the Kirkhof Center.

To register for the program, go to www.gvsu.edu/socialjustice.

“WAKE UP!: Defining Privilege”

Students at Grand Valley State University will get the chance to asses the different types of privilege both present and absent in their own lives in an event called “WAKE UP!: Defining Privilege” on Sept. 30.

The GVSU organization Divine 9 Greeks is hosting the event to prompt students to think about how privilege is affecting their lives through a discussion about race, gender, sexuality and religion.

The event is scheduled to take place at 8 p.m. in Mackinac Hall, Room B 1126.

For more information, contact D9 Greek President Jarel Brown at [email protected].