Laker Life briefs 8-31-17

Coffee and meditation at 12-step meeting   

For students at Grand Valley State University who wish to stop drinking or using other drugs, Alcohol & Other Drugs Campus Education Services (ACES) is hosting a 12-step meeting with coffee and meditation Tuesday, Sept. 5, from 8:15 a.m. to 9 a.m. in Room 0073 of the Kirkhof Center.  

The recurring event promotes recovery while also offering a space and community of support for those who no longer want to use substances and is open to students, as well as faculty and other community members. Those who attend will be surrounded by people who have similar struggles in a non-judgmental atmosphere. 

For more information, contact ACES at 616-331-2537 or at [email protected]. 

International faculty and friends kickoff

Grand Valley State University boasts many internationally diverse faculty and staff. To celebrate these employees, GVSU will be holding an international faculty and friends kickoff Wednesday, Sept. 6, in Room 2204 of the Kirkhof Center from 4 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.  

International faculty and staff are foundational in shaping the lives and intercultural competency of GVSU students, although all faculty and staff at GVSU are invited and encouraged to go to the event, where there will be appetizers and drinks for attendees.   

For more information, contact [email protected], [email protected] or [email protected].      

CHP offers express advising    

The College of Health Professions (CHP) will be offering express advising throughout the first week of classes in Room 2201 of the Kirkhof Center from 9 a.m. to noon. Express advising is for Grand Valley State University students who have quick questions they want answered or small scheduling issues to work out. 

After the first week of school is completed, the next date for express advising will be Monday, Dec. 11, from 9 a.m. to noon in Room 2201 of the Kirkhof Center. This advising will run through Friday, Dec. 15.    

For more information on express advising, contact Brianne Perez at [email protected].          

2020 Information Desk to give free Whitecaps tickets    

Sports fans at Grand Valley State University are in luck, as the 2020 Information Desk will be giving out free tickets to Whitecaps games from Monday, Aug. 28, through Thursday, Sept. 6. 

The Whitecaps are a West Michigan’s own minor league baseball team and a Detroit Tiger’s affiliate team. Twenty tickets will be given out per day, along with a food voucher for a hot dog and drink, and are available at the 2020 Information Desk in the Kirkhof Center.