Arts briefs 12/11/17

Comedian Daphnique Springs to visit GVSU 

Comedian Daphnique Springs will be visiting Grand Valley State Univeristy to perform Tuesday, Dec. 12, starting at 8 p.m. in the Cook-DeWitt Center. Springs is being brought to campus by Spotlight Productions as a part of GVSU’s “exam cram.”

Springs’ comedy been called intelligent, dark, honest and relatable, which may offer GVSU students a well-needed night of laughs during exam week. Springs has been on comedy tours with comics such as Kat Williams and Martin Lawrence. She has also been featured on television shows like “How I Met Your Mother,” “Jimmy Kimmel” and “Laughs on Fox.”

For more information, contact Spotlight Productions at [email protected].

‘The Santa Clause’ being shown at Big Screen Theater

Grand Valley State University’s Big Screen Theater will be showing the holiday-themed movie “The Santa Clause” until Thursday, Dec. 14. The Big Screen Theater, located behind the 2020 Information Desk in the Kirkhof Center, will be closing its movie showings for the semester with the classic Christmas film starring Tim Allen.

The story of how an average man finds himself transitioning into Santa Claus leading up to Christmas, “The Santa Clause” is a family favorite for the holiday season. Showings are daily at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. 

Excellence Series event being hosted Tuesday, Dec. 12

The Human Resources Department at Grand Valley State University will be hosting an event surrounding the topic of tough conversations on Tuesday, Dec. 12, from 10 a.m. until noon in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2270.

The workshop, titled “Mastering Tough Conversations,” is a part of the GVSU Excellence Series. The event will cover situations ranging from family tension to workplace rifts while illustrating how to effectively engage in those hard conversations.

For more information, contact GVSU Human Resources at [email protected].

Study-abroad first-step meeting to be held Wednesday, Dec. 13

The Grand Valley State University Padnos International Center is set to host a study-abroad first-step meeting from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 13, in Lake Ontario Hall, Room 130.

The study-abroad first-step meetings cover foundational study-abroad topics such funding, picking the right program and academic information. Meetings are held every Wednesday during the semester from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and every Friday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 130 of Lake Ontario Hall.

For more information, contact the Padnos International Center at [email protected].