GVSU students to donate shoes to Tanzanian children

GVL / Courtesy - Lisa Kasmer 
Study Abroad: Tanzania

Lisa Kasmer

GVL / Courtesy – Lisa Kasmer Study Abroad: Tanzania

Jess Hodge

Imagine not being able to afford shoes, even a basic pair of tennis shoes worn solely for protection. That is reality for some children in Tanzania, and Grand Valley State University students are trying to change that.

The GVSU study abroad program heading to Tanzania this May has created a GoFundMe page to raise money in order to buy shoes for those in need.

But these aren’t just any shoes — they’re shoes that grow.

‘The Shoe that Grows’ is a company that created a shoe that grows with children. GVSU’s study abroad program heard of the growing shoe and knew it would be a perfect thing to bring to the local orphanages on their trip.

Lisa Kasmer, faculty director of the Tanzania program and mathematics professor, has had the idea of bringing shoes to Tanzania for a while. In past years, the program’s students have brought school supplies and textbooks. However, Kasmer had the idea when she heard a fellow GVSU professor, Sango Otieno, share his personal story about getting shoes for the first time.

Senior students Jordan Phelps and Greg Balsam spearheaded the bulk of the fundraising through a GoFundMe page where they have raised over $1,900. In addition, Phelps said they will be selling T-shirts and will be using a promotional code for Grand Rapids Griffins tickets to raise more money to purchase the shoes.

“’The Shoe that Grows’ really work well with the children,” Phelps said. “For one, they are shoes that they can wear for multiple years instead of buying shoes every year, since most children can’t afford shoes. They are also great for children who have had orthopedic surgery so the shoes can protect their feet while they recover.”

The growing shoes will be donated to an orphanage and to the Plaster House, a hospital that specializes in orthopedic surgeries for children with fluorosis.

“This is a disease children get from drinking water with too much fluoride,” Kasmer said. “Unfortunately, many of these children go back to their villages after surgery and wind up with infections, because they don’t have shoes to wear.”

“The Shoe That Grows” was created in 2007 and is designed to withstand five years of use and growing. There are three parts of the shoe that grow: the toe, the side and the heel. The soles of the shoes are made of compressed rubber, while the upper and top portion of the shoe is made of leather.

Kasmer has led the GVSU program to Tanzania since 2011 and knows the shoes will be a great help to children. She is also pleased with how Balsam and Phelps managed this particular project.

“I am impressed with their willingness to take the leadership of this project on,” she said. “They have both been committed to seeing this project through.”

Phelps encourages students to continue to donate money either through the GoFundMe page or by using the promo code “Tanzania2016” when buying Griffins tickets for their April 8 game. She said they are thankful for all of the donations and she is excited the funds are going to a good cause.

“After we have made our goal, any additional funding will be donated to a local orphanage in Arusha, Tanzania to help build their new facility,” Phelps said.

The students will leave May 6 and return on June 2. Kasmer said they will teach for about 60 hours in their own classrooms and go on a four-day safari.

To donate to their GoFundMe page, visit www.gofundme.com/gbr8b3k4.

To learn more about “The Shoe That Grows,” visit www.theshoethatgrows.org.