A&E and Laker Life Briefs 8/26

Spotlight Productions to host popcorn and movie

Following their outdoor screening of “Black Panther”, Spotlight Productions is showing “I, Tonya” for its first popcorn and movie event of the 2018-2019 academic year. The popcorn and movie series takes place every Friday and movies change throughout the year.

The event is taking place at the Kirkhof Center big screen theater from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 31. Students must bring a student ID, but admission and popcorn are free.

“I, Tonya” will be showing every day until Thursday, Sept. 6 at 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 5 p.m., and 9 p.m. Popcorn will only be served on Fridays.

For more information about the Popcorn and Movie series, contact [email protected].

WYCE holding annual record sale fundraiser

Community Radio for West Michigan 88.1 FM WYCE is hosting its Annual Record Sale Fundraiser on Saturday, Sept. 8 at the Eastown Streetfair.

WYCE is collecting used CDs, LPs and cassettes; all items should be in a good, playable condition. Collected items will then be sold at the fundraiser for just one dollar a piece.

The fundraiser is an all-day event, and all profits benefit the station. To schedule a drop-off, contact [email protected]

#myFraternity photo shoot supports GV Greek Life

The #myFraternity social media movement is making its way to Grand Valley on Sept. 5 with a photo shoot at the Kirkhoff Center. The campaign aims to promote the value and positive impact of fraternities on both a local and global scale.

Students, alumni and supporters alike are invited from 4-6 p.m. to get their photo taken in support of the campaign and join the movement. 

For more information about the photo shoot, contact [email protected].

Silent Disco returns for Kirkhof’s lawn

Students are invited to take part in a silent rave outside of Kirkhof from 9-11:45 p.m. on Sept. 9. The disco returns for another year with three DJ’s scheduled to participate.

Local musicians DJ Justin Kung, DJ Composition and DJ B-Wiz are set to headline the event with a mix of hip-hop, techno, house and pop music throughout the night. 

Guests need to bring their student ID to receive a pair of wireless headphones that sync up to performances. Event Services is partnering with Spotlight Productions to set up lights, stages and smoke machines to create an upbeat atmosphere for the disco.

To learn more about the silent disco, contact [email protected]