Student Senate awards emerging leaders

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
Tyler Swanson

GVL/Kevin Sielaff Tyler Swanson

Alex Sinn

Three Grand Valley State University student senators were awarded on Thursday for their work during the 2014-2015 school year.

At the final Student Senate general assembly meeting of the 2015 winter semester, a vote was held for Emerging Leader, Senate Spirit and Senator of the Year awards.

Madelaine Cleghorn, who won Senator of the Year, said the past year was all about community involvement and the people.

“As far as my most valuable experiences, it has everything to do with the people I’ve met,” she said.

Cleghorn, a junior political science major, served as vice president for the external relations committee. This was her second year in Student Senate. She said her proudest accomplishment was transitioning the former political affairs committee to the newly formed external relations.

“I really feel like we have some great momentum going because all of our projects relate in some way to the community and ensuring students have a positive experience in it,” she said.

Cleghorn worked on voter registration, engagement and education efforts this year, as well as opening up conversations about the future of Allendale’s 48th Avenue and establishing Student Senate’s role in GVSU’s civic engagement initiative. She also helped coordinate a 9/11 commemoration and a Secretary of State candidate forum.

Cleghorn will remain on senate for the 2015-2016 school year.

“Overall, it has been an honor and a pleasure to serve on Student Senate, and I can’t wait to see what next year has in store for us,” she said.

Freshman Ashley Rapp, who was awarded Senate Spirit, said getting involved in Student Senate led to a phenomenal first year.

“As a freshman, I was a little worried about not finding my niche on campus,” she said. “Joining Student Senate gave me a sense of purpose here at Grand Valley.”

Rapp sat on the senate relations committee this year, planning bonding activities and in-services, as well as managing attendance.

“I’m so passionate about what senate does because I believe we have the opportunity to create real change on campus,” she said.

Sophomore Ella Fritzemeier was awarded Emerging Leader for her work on the public relations committee. Her proudest accomplishments were several events she planned throughout the year, she said.

Fritzemeier organized public opinion days, which allow students to give input on senate’s decision making. This input is used to write resolutions, support issues and help senators find larger issues on campus, Fritzemeier said.

“They are a vital part of Student Senate and should be to the student body too,” she said.

Fritzemeier also planned other events to help familiarize the student body with the senate, including “Snacks with Senators,” which was held at the library to engage students with senate projects.

“This way, they have a face to Student Senate and, if they think of something that could be changed, they can find the senator that they talked to,” she said.

She also put together the “Meet the Candidates” event, which aimed to raise student awareness during senate elections.

Fritzemeier also sat on the GVSU general education committee, which is responsible for discussing course proposals and terms for general education programs and the University Academic Senate – which advocates for GVSU faculty and works to improve programs and policies.

Fritzemeier said she values the leadership of the senate cabinet members. She attended cabinet meetings throughout the year, she said, and aspires to be a cabinet member next year.

“Everyone on cabinet welcomed me to sit with them and they were really great role models for what kind of leader I hope to be,” she said.