Arts Briefs

Homerathon Five

Homerathon Five will begin in the Mary Idema Pew Library Multipurpose Room on the atrium level at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 27, continues overnight in the Cook-DeWitt Center and continues on Oct. 28 back in the library. The Homerathon is a nonstop performance reading of Homer’s “The Odyssey” by faculty, students and members of the administration.

Presented by the department of classics and the Mary Idema Pew Library, this is the Homerathon’s fifth year running. Members of the campus community are welcome and encouraged to participate.

At noon on Oct. 28, the Homerathon with be joined by President Thomas Haas and other GVSU administrators to help read portions of “The Odyssey.”

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/classics/homerathonfive.

Arts at Noon: Emilio Colón and André Gaskins

The Arts at Noon series will continue at noon on Oct. 28 in the Cook-DeWitt Center with performances from guests of this year’s Cello Fest. This event is hosted annually by Grand Valley State University professor Pablo Mahave-Veglia, featuring music for solo cello and cello ensemble.

This year’s performance will include internationally acclaimed guest artists Emilio Colón, professor of cello at Indiana University, and André Gaskins, principal cellist of the Fort Wayne Philharmonic. This event is free and open to the public.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/music/arts-at-noon-197.htm.

Senior Shows

As part of this year’s Performance Studio Series, GVSU theater majors will bring a murder mystery to the stage during “Café Murder,” as well as a string of short plays. In the Performing Arts Center’s Louis Armstrong Theatre, performances of “Café Murder” and “All in the Timing: A Collection of One-Act Plays by David Ives” will take place at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 26 and 27.

Café Murder, directed by writing and theater major Anthony Sanchez, follows the story of Rosemary, who is celebrating her birthday at Café Murder with her sisters and friends, when she is murdered. Detective Reginal Harris must then follow the clues to figure out who murdered Rosemary.

Three short productions, including “Sure Thing,” “The Philadelphia” and “English Made Simple,” will follow “Café Murder.” The shorts will be directed by Kimberlee Griggs, senior theater and psychology major.

Tickets are $6 and can be purchased at the Louis Armstrong Theatre Box Office or by calling (616) 331-2300.

For more information, go to www.gvsu.edu/theatre.

Octubafest

At 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 29 in the Sherman Van Solkema Recital hall, there will be an Octubafest concert. Featuring the members of the Grand Valley State University tuba and euphonium studio as soloists, Octubafest is a celebration of the tuba and euphonium as solo instruments.

To learn more, visit www.gvsu.edu/music.

Symphony Orchestra Halloween Concert

On Oct. 31 at 8 p.m. Grand Valley State University’s Symphony Orchestra will perform in costume in honor of Halloween. The event will take place on the atrium level of the Mary Idema Pew Library. They will be performing “Mars” from “The Planets” by Gustav Holst, “In the Hall of the Mountain King” by Edvard Grieg, “Hungarian Dance No. 6” by Johannes Brahms, “Fanfare” by Paul Dukas and “Night on Bald Mountain” by Modest Mussorgsky.

This event is free and open to the public.

For more information, visit: www.gvsu.edu/music.