I Am GV nominations close Friday

Courtesy / Office of Student Life
2012 I am Grand Valley Reception.

Courtesy / Office of Student Life 2012 I am Grand Valley Reception.

Allison Ribick

The “I Am Grand Valley” T-shirts worn by Grand Valley State University students are a familiar sight on the university’s campus. Those individuals received the T-shirts by being nominated for their leadership abilities through the I Am GV leadership recognition campaign, run by the Office of Student Life and the Laker Leadership Programs.

GVSU students can be nominated by fellow students, faculty, staff or anyone that has noticed their leadership skills. The nomination period ends this Friday. Individuals can nominate as many students and as many times as they want.

Often, nominees hold some type of leadership position such as being a resident assistant, being involved in athletics or holding a position in a student organization. Having a leadership position is not a requirement though. Nominees could also be nominated by a faculty member, as in the case of collaborating on research or excelling in a certain class.

“It’s completely open-ended for anyone to nominate people that they know who are doing positive work,” said Brendan Gallagher, graduate assistant in the Office of Student Life.

When a student is nominated, they will receive an email asking for them to register for the I Am Grand Valley reception. The reception is being held on Jan. 14 from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the Grand River Room in the Kirkhof Center. The deadline to RSVP to the reception is Dec. 10.

At the reception, nominees will be given their I Am Grand Valley T-shirt as well as a certificate. There will be food, music and mingling for the nominees. The coordinators of the event are looking to have remarks made by student life representatives.

The reception will be similar to an open house, as there is no formal programming. Individuals can stop by and leave at any time.

Roxanne Evers has been nominated for her efforts in being a resident assistant, and attended the reception last year.

“It’s one way of encouraging leaders and promoting leadership throughout the community,” Evers said. “It’s nice to be appreciated and receive the recognition.”

The reception is part of campus leadership week, which highlights leadership initiatives and programs. Through topic discussions, presentations and more, offices raise awareness about leadership opportunities and ways to get involved.

“A lot of initiatives wouldn’t see results, and a lot of people wouldn’t be doing much if it weren’t for the leaders,” Gallagher said.

Bob Stoll, associate dean for student life, has worked at GVSU for decades and has seen the campus and university grow. Specifically, he has seen leadership and participation evolve, he said.

“I would encourage people to nominate people so they can be a part of that process that helps grow a community of leaders,” Stoll said. “Recognition is important, a true need for most individuals to have a sense of belonging and connection to others.”

By recognizing leaders on campus, students will be motivated to continue to improve the communities they will be a part of even after they graduate.

Stoll mentioned the increase of GVSU apparel being worn by students and alumni throughout the state and country, including I Am Grand Valley T-shirts. More students feel like they belong to a university and care for it, which shows the growth of the university.

“That’s how positive change is made on campus, by recognizing the people who are doing it and giving them that little nudge to continue on and to keep pushing the envelope,” Gallagher said.

To nominate a student, go to
www.gvsu.edu/iamgv and click on the nominations tab.