GV ranked as top public regional university in Midwest

Briana Doolan

Grand Valley State University was ranked No. 7 in the “Top Public Regional Universities in the Midwest” by U.S. News & World Report and also No. 35 among Midwest Universities in the annual Best Colleges 2013 publication.

Matthew McLogan, vice president for university relations, said the publication is aimed toward high school juniors and seniors who are preparing to make campus visits. “The annual college book is the item most families use most of the time when they are looking at universities,” McLogan said. “It helps them decide where to visit, and whether a school should be on or off their inquiry. It’s widely distributed and reliable.”

He added that GVSU’s listing is a strong accomplishment for the university. “It’s sensational and it speaks so well to the people at Grand Valley who work so hard,” he said. “I think the ratings accurately reflect the excellent position that Grand Valley holds among Midwestern colleges, and everyone that works here is very proud of it.”

McLogan said, essentially, GVSU ranked on the high school GPA and ACT scores of students coming into the university, freshman to sophomore retention rate, graduation rate, student/faculty ratio, financial stability/resources and reception of support from alumni after they graduate.

According to a release by GVSU’s News & Information Services, the U.S. News & Word Report rankings are based on several key measures of quality, including peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources and alumni giving. Data was collected from each institution that included up to 16 indicators of academic excellence.

Earlier in the year, GVSU also made Forbes magazines “America’s Best Colleges in 2012” list. To view GVSU’s listing in U.S. News & World Report, visit colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/grand-valley-state-university-2268.