Arts Briefs

Kate Branum

Histories of Student Activism at GVSU

The Kutche Office of Local History, Special Collections and University Archives at Grand Valley State University will be facilitating a new exhibit portraying past instances of student activism at GVSU beginning Monday, Feb. 20 in the Exhibition Space in the Mary Idema Pew Library on the Allendale Campus.

The exhibit highs activism at GVSU from its founding until 1979 and includes photographs of student protests and past articles publishing in The Lanthorn. The exhibit will also feature a few recent examples of student activism on campus.

Ending the Stigma of Mental Illness

To Write Love on Her Arms, Grand Valley State University Chapter, will be hosting “Breaking Down Walls,” Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2250 on the Allendale Campus.

This event was created to shed some light on mental illnesses in an effort to demolish the stigma that surrounds them by providing facts on anxiety, OCD, suicide, addiction, self-harm and eating disorders.

For more information on this event, contact the To Write Love on Her Arms organization at [email protected].

Eating Disorder Screening Day

February is Eating Disorder Awareness month, and the University Counseling Center at Grand Valley State University wants to make sure students are aware of the helpful resources available on campus.

Concerned students are encouraged to stop by screening tables set up in multiple locations across campus for 10 minutes to fill out a free questionnaire and receive instant results.

The screenings will be held Wednesday, Feb. 22 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center lobby, on the Allendale Campus, the Fieldhouse Arena on the Allendale Campus and the DeVos Center lobby on the Pew Campus.

Zumba Party

Campus Recreation at Grand Valley State University invites all students, staff and faculty members to attend a night of free Zumba Wednesday, Feb. 22 from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Fieldhouse Arena on the Allendale Campus.

All attendees are encouraged to dress in comfortable workout attire to participate in this upbeat, cardio-based event.