GVSU welcomes nearly 1,000 new alumni

GVL / Emily Frye

Emily Frye

GVL / Emily Frye

Ashlyn Korienek

With long-awaited degrees in their hands and smiles plastered on each of their faces, Grand Valley State University students anxiously walked across the stage at graduation to begin new adventures beyond the Laker nation.

More than 980 students crossed the Van Andel Arena stage on Dec. 12 during the 10 a.m. Commencement ceremony in downtown Grand Rapids. In the fall of 2014, a total of 1,022 students walked at graduation.

LeaAnn Tibbe, associate director of Student Life, said the number of graduates walking this semester experienced a small difference of 38 fewer students. During the 2014-15 academic year, more than 5,600 students received a degree, setting a record for number of graduates.

The ceremony began with Thomas J. Haas, president of GVSU, taking a selfie with the soon-to-be graduates cheering in the background. He greeted the crowd with words of encouragement on the journey ahead that will bring many new opportunities.

“What a great day to be a Laker,” Haas said. “Many of you already have a job lined up or have been accepted into graduate programs. Others are still searching, and that’s OK.”

The keynote speaker, Brian Calley, lieutenant governor of Michigan, spoke to students on how to “be great” in today’s challenging world. Calley, elected in 2010, is the youngest lieutenant governor in the country.

“You’re standing on the verge of entering a world of opportunities,” he said, “with an endorsement of your dedication to learning and knowledge, from a university that has become one of the most interesting, diverse and exciting regions in the nation.”

Calley also received an honorary degree, presented by the officials, with a doctoral degree in public service. Among other honors, he has been recognized by the U.S. Junior Chamber as one of 10 “outstanding young Americans.”

“Don’t lose the ability to be daring,” Calley said. “Who knows how many shots you’ve got to do what you really want with your life – don’t miss that chance. Today I am asking you to take that chance.

“Look life in the eye of all its challenges and detours, and expect to be great.”

Two additional honorary degrees were presented, the first to Andrzej Chochół who is the rector of Cracow University of Economics in Poland. This year marks the 40th anniversary with the CUE, GVSU’s oldest international partnership.

“For almost five decades our students have exchanged students, faculty and staff with each university,” Haas said, “treating each student as they would their own. This is endearing, and is what partnerships mean.”

The second degree was presented to Nancy Lubbers, the wife of President Emeritus Arend D. Lubbers who served 32 years with the GVSU. She remains active on the Grand Valley Foundation Board of Directors, Grand Forum Advisory Board and the campaign committee for Blandford Nature Center.

Michael Tappy, president of the GVSU Alumni Association, presented the Young Alumni Award to Jessica Cruz. She was recently named chief diversity and inclusion officer for Northern Michigan University starting in early winter.

“Know that you are always welcome here at Grand Valley,” Haas said, “and remember you are always Lakers for a lifetime.”