‘I Am Grand Valley’ recognizes student leaders

GVL / Courtesy - GVSU University Communications
I Am Grand Valley reception

GVL / Courtesy – GVSU University Communications “I Am Grand Valley” reception

Lucas Escalada

Nominations for the 2015 “I am Grand Valley” campaign opened on Nov. 2. The annual campaign aims to recognize the best student leaders at Grand Valley State University.

Maria Beelen, campaign student facilitator, said she is doing most of the ground work for the campaign.

The campaign is not so much a competition, but a way to spotlight great students on GVSU’s campus. Beelen said that anyone who is nominated and responds to an invitation for a January gathering will receive a certificate as well as an “I am Grand Valley” T-shirt.

Beelen said this campaign is the best opportunity to show who the great leaders at GVSU are. She said nominees can be anyone around campus, “whether they be great in the classroom, outstanding RAs, captain of a club sports or intramural team or an officer in a student org.”

While being a leader can be a challenge, nominating leaders for the recognition is simple. There is a form on OrgSync that asks for a name and the reason that person is a leader. Beelen said it usually takes fewer than 15 minutes to complete. Nominations are open until Nov. 20.

The perfect nominee can encompass a lot of the same values that GVSU tries to get out of its students. By looking out for leaders both in and out of the classroom, the “I am Grand Valley” campaign seeks to emphasize the importance of leadership in the student body.

Personally, Beelen has already submitted her nominations.

“This year I have nominated a few individuals who I work with on an e-board of a student organization, as well as some co-workers,” Beelen said. “And of course, my fellow student senators that I sit with on cabinet.”

Beelen said the best nominee can be anyone who has stepped up to the place and shown fantastic leadership. The campaign wants to demonstrate that GVSU houses many great leaders in a variety of disciplines, so she encourages people to nominate any great leader they know.

Since “I am Grand Valley” is entering its 12th year, a lot of students, faculty and staff members known about the campaign. While it can be tough to advertise this event when it has been around for so long, Beelen said she hopes to reach out to a larger body of people this time around.

“People know the name and see the shirts, but with the addition of reaching out to faculty and student organizations, we reach a wide range of students,” Beelen said.

She encourages faculty and staff members to nominate any great leaders they recognize in the student body.

Last year, the Office of Student Life received around 1,400 “I am Grand Valley” nominations.

All of these students received their shirt and certificates at the gathering, which was intended to be a large recognition of all the leaders at GVSU.

The nomination form is available online at www.orgsync.com/61065/forms/162167.