Campus Leadership Week displays campus opportunities

GVL / Courtesy - GVSU University Communications

GVL / Courtesy – GVSU University Communications

Constance Turnbull

Grand Valley State University will celebrate its 11th annual Campus Leadership Week from Jan. 12 through 16 to honor GVSU students who are campus leaders. The event is co-sponsored by the Office of Student Life and Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Society.

Maria Beelen, Laker Leadership staff assistant at the Office of Student Life, hopes that the week not only allows for the recognition of GVSU’s student leaders, but also informs students of campus leadership opportunities.

“I love seeing all of these students come together, be recognized for what they are doing, and be motivated to continue on in their leadership roles at the university,” Beelen said.

The celebrations will begin on Jan. 12 with the display of student artwork in the Thornapple Room of Kirkhof. The pieces that will be available are a selection of what has been acquired for display in the new science laboratory building, which opens in 2015.

The week will continue with the Leadership University Information Night on Jan. 13 in Kirkhof. This informative event has no formal presentation. Students are encouraged to drop by to learn more about Leadership University, a student-driven program designed to highlight unique leadership development, and how to get involved.

On Jan. 14, the Wheelhouse Talk will take place in the Charles W. Loosemore Forum Room of the Seidman College of Business. Judge Sara Smolenski, a native of Grand Rapids who is highly regarded as a community leader, will speak at the event.

The day will continue with the “I am Grand Valley” Leadership Reception in the Grand River Room. This event will honor Grand Valley’s student leaders who were nominated through the “I am Grand Valley” recognition program. Nominated students who attend will receive a unique “I am Grand Valley” T-shirt and a certificate recognizing their contribution to campus leadership.

The festivities will continue on Jan. 15 with the Study Abroad Fair in the Henry Hall Atrium. This is an informal event where students can browse the programs GVSU offers and meet with fellow students who have studied abroad. Faculty program directors will answer any questions students may have about participating in a GVSU study abroad program.

A Brown Bag Lunch event will also take place on Jan. 15 in the Center for Health Services, as well as a resume workshop in the Student Services building. The University Round Table, intended to emulate Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table and the sharing of ideas between different members of the university, will occur in the Alumni House at 6 p.m. Students and faculty who represent leadership on campus are encouraged to attend.

Campus Leadership Week will finish with Max it Out and Campus Life Night 2.0 on Jan. 16. Max it Out, a student organizational mini-conference designed to assist student leaders in their organization leadership development, will be held in the Grand River Room. Max it Out will include a keynote presentation, breakout sessions and a council meeting. Campus Life Night 2.0 will also take place in the Kirkhof Center. Campus Life Night allows students to learn about and meet with more than 350 student organizations.

“Hopefully this week will be an event filled week of recognition, leadership growth and discovery,” Beelen said.