ACES/ GVPD gives alcohol presentation to students

gabriella patti

“Don’t drink and drive” and “Don’t do anything stupid” are the common lessons repeated to young drinkers, said Eric Klingensmith, coordinator of Crisis Intervention and Alcohol Campus Education and Services (ACES). However, there are many lessons regarding alcohol that are not being taught.

Klingensmith and Grand Valley Police Department Officer Minh Lien hosted a session at Grand Valley State University on Tuesday called Alcohol: Truth, Lies and Consequences. The goal of the event was to offer students an educational opportunity in a safe setting to become informed about health, safety and consequences when it comes to drinking.

“We want to put basic information out there for students to be healthy and safe,” Klingensmith said.

Contrary to popular belief, one thing students will not hear from this program is that they cannot drink. Instead, Klingensmith said students are adults and can make their own choices.

“We all go down the highway a little fast when we are making a choice,” Klingensmith said. “You have to be willing to deal with consequences.”

The brain becomes affected by alcohol at 0.08 percent, the point at which it is considered binge drinking. The consequences of drinking to excess include impaired driving and judgment, exhaustion and sickness, Klingensmith said.

Many people do not realize that becoming sick from alcohol is the first sign of alcohol poisoning. This can be extremely dangerous for students who have blacked out when drinking, Klingensmith said.

“Your body doesn’t always respond because the brain is chemically knocked out,” Klingensmith said.

A safe alcohol level is between 0-0.06. Anything higher can lead to blackouts, increased tolerance and the lack of willpower. People can become tolerant to any substance put in their body, leading them to believe that they need more, Klingensmith said.

Another common misconception is the idea that water and eating food will help people be safe and responsible drinkers.

“Your liver has to break (the alcohol) down,” Klingensmith said. “Eat something first. The minute it gets in the stomach it gets pulled from the lining of the stomach into the blood stream.”

One of the biggest problems regarding college drinking is the fact that students often over drink or do not realize how much they are drinking. Klingensmith reinforced the message that a “drink” is equal to one shot.

In reference to the GVPD’s role in alcohol responsibility tactics, Lien said GVPD is not seeking to get students in trouble; however, they have to respond to troubled behavior.

Presenters warned designated drivers to not allow open alcohol containers into their cars. If the seal is cracked, it is considered open.

Often, the first sign that someone has been drinking is the smell, Lien said.

Students should remember never to run, and if they act politely, the situation will be easier and proceed at a quicker and more efficient pace.

Another presentation will occur on Tuesday, Feb. 12 from 6 p.m. to 7 pm. It is LIB 100 approved. For more information about the program, visit www.
gvsu.edu/aces/.