A cappella group, Euphoria, prepares for new season

GVL/ Courtesy - Jacqueline Smith

GVL/ Courtesy – Jacqueline Smith

Jackie Smith

This September, the student-run group Euphoria will begin to ease back into the groove of things. The coed a cappella group, one of four a cappella groups on Grand Valley State University’s campus, is not your run-of-the-mill singing group. Euphoria provides their own take on music, covering chart topping hits, classic oldies and even beat boxing.

Euphoria’s Vice President Adelaide Clock explained that the group doesn’t simply cover one single genre of music.

“Lately we’ve dipped into rock and roll, jazz, choral and Indy stuff,” Clock said. “We’ve changed our slogan from ‘top 40’ to ‘top 40 at some point.’”

As for the group’s beat boxing incorporation, Michael Vacanti, Euphoria’s president, said a cappella groups everywhere are latching on to its rising popularity, especially fellow GVSU singing groups including GrooVe! and Midnight Snack.

Popular hits and beat boxing aren’t the only things that draw students to Euphoria though. Their experience and love for music is what is really at the heart of the singing group.

“Music has always been a huge impact on my life,” Vacanti said. “(Euphoria) is my second family here at GV.”

Clock agreed, adding, “I have made some of my best friends here. Other people have made other connections through the group as well. “

Euphoria will be competing in a cappella competitions throughout the year, the largest being the A Cappella Off and the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella competition.

“At A Cappella Off last year, we got number one coed group,” Vacanti said. “The ICCA is like the one from ‘Pitch Perfect.’”

Euphoria will be performing in “Night of A Cappella,” on Nov. 7 at 8 p.m. in the Cook Dewitt Center. All a cappella groups at GVSU, including GrooVe!, Midnight Snack, After School Special and The V Men will also be performing.

“It’s a night of showing everyone this is what we do, and this is what we love to do,” Vacanti said.

As for those students who are on edge about joining an a cappella group, Clock and Vacanti have some advice.

“It’s worth it,” Clock said. “Sometimes it can be a little stressful because everyone is human, but the music and friendship are worth it.”

Vacanti cautions students to look at their schedules.

“It’s a time commitment,” he said. “Our group knows we rehearse six hours a week, so it’s a time commitment, but also a wonderful experience.”