Sticking to those New Year’s resolutions

GVL/Luke Holmes
Students work out in the weight-lifting section of the rec center.

GVL/Luke Holmes Students work out in the weight-lifting section of the rec center.

Hannah Lentz

A new year has just begun, which, for a lot of students at Grand Valley State University, means an overwhelming feeling of needing a change. Though resolutions are often hard to stick with, college campuses provide resources for student success.

“Seeking out support or help, can keep one remain accountable and help to maintain motivation,” said Amy Campbell, associate director of campus recreation. “Support can come from a variety of ways, friends, joining a training group or club, seeking out one of our services through campus rec, are all examples of support.”

Currently, campus recreation has over 700 pass holders for the group exercise program and about 4,200 participants in classes each semester.

The campus recreation team has come up with some recommendations for making an attainable goal for a healthier lifestyle:

1. Be patient with progress, changes can sometimes take at least a few weeks.

2. Identify strategies that work for you. Develop habits that you know are realistic and will work for your lifestyle. For example, don’t plan on 5 a.m. workouts if you aren’t a morning person, or have late night commitments. Don’t force yourself to run if you hate running. You will be more successful and complete healthy habit changes if you can enjoy them.

3. Track your progress toward your goals and don’t be afraid to reward yourself for making positive changes. However, don’t be hard on yourself if you skip a day or don’t achieve a goal. Get right back on track and remind yourself of all the positive impact making healthy choices can have.

4. Remember that small changes can have a big impact. Things like drinking more water, improving sleep habits and managing stress, in addition to healthy eating and activity, can also help with healthy habits. Exercise has been proven by studies to improve learning by memory retention and brain function. By developing or maintaining healthy habits throughout college, individuals are more likely to continue these habits in later years.

GVSU’s campus recreation facilities also provide a number of classes and opportunities to help students, faculty and staff toward their goals through their “try it before you buy it” program. From Jan. 11-15, classes are free to anyone who wants to experience a group exercise environment.After Jan. 15, a class pass for a student is $30 for the entire semester, almost 50 classes.

“Healthy habits can help to create a positive college experience in many ways,” Campbell said. “Exercise specifically can help manage anxiety, depression, reduces stress and improve overall mood. It can also manage or prevent chronic health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, manages weight, and can improve energy.”

For those who don’t enjoy group exercise classes there a variety of competitive sports including Intramurals, and Club Sports. There’s also a free UFit plan for students. Very similar to personal training, it helps individuals develop a workout plan, provide an equipment or exercise orientation, and also helps to update routines. Other resources include an Outdoor Adventure Center, free rock climbing for students, a bike shop, massage therapy and nutrition services.

Passes can be purchased at www.gvsu.edu/rec. The $30 pass for students will grant individuals access into any of the weekly classes. All instructors are certified, and offer a wide variety of formats including: Yoga, Zumba, Insanity, G3, Tabata, RIPPED, Turbokick, SPIN and TRX.