A&E Briefs 11/11

Mary Racette

Ryan Hamilton brings a happy face to the city

Following his 2017 release of his first hour Netflix special “Happy Face,” stand up comedian Ryan Hamilton is coming to 20 Monroe Live Nov. 15. Hamilton is on the rise, already making appearances on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Conan, The Late Late Show, Last Comic Standing, Comedy Central and Showtime. He was also named one of Rolling Stone’s Five Comics to Watch. 

Hamilton’s comedy is often regarded as clean and he has a following which includes a range of ages. Much of his material comes from his experiences of living in New York City after growing up in a small town in Idaho.   

French departments unite to celebrate culture through film 

The French departments of Grand Rapids Community College and Grand Valley State University joined forced to organize the third edition of the Tournées Film Festival. At the downtown campuses of GRCC and GVSU, French films will be shown in the evenings of Nov. 15-16 and 22-23.  The festival is opening on Nov. 15 with the screening of the 2018 French film “Tazzeka” at GRCC ‘s Wisner-Bottrall Applied Technology Center Auditorium Room 168.

In addition to the collaboration between GRCC and GVSU, the film festival was supported by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the U.S., the Centre National du Cinema et de l’lmage Animee (CNC), the French American Cultural Fund, Florence Gould Foundation and Highbrow Entertainment. 

Laugh with STAGE

GVSU’s student run theatre organization, STAGE, will present their array of skits Nov. 15 and 16 in Area 51.  The show is written, directed, acted and teched entirely by GVSU students. While the event is free, STAGE is accepting donations which they will put towards purchasing new props.

STAGE’s show is titled “Yikes!,” alluding to the tone of the performance. The collection of short plays will include a variety of “wild” themes which aim to make the audience laugh. For both nights, the shows begin at 8 p.m.

Start conversations with ReACT!  

ReACT! is GVSU’s peer theatre troupe dedicated to promote anti-violence to all students on campus. The troupe is through the Center for Women and Gender Equity and is putting on a show Nov. 17 to encourage dialogues about sexual assault and sexual harassment.  

ReACT!’s performance of “Difficult Dialogues” will take place 8-10 p.m. in Kirkhof Room 2263. During this performance, student actors will be acting out scenarios which will prompt questions and discussion about difficult situations that college students often find themselves in.