News Briefs 3/16

Sean Cauvet, News Editor

Coronavirus outbreaks causes wave of cancellations in the US

Although it’s only been a little over a week since the first coronavirus case was declared in the US, response has been swift and uniform. Almost every major sporting event has been canceled or postponed, including NCAA Basketball’s annual March Madness tournament. Medical experts around the world have been weighing in on the crisis in hopes of minimizing the spread as much as possible. Only time will tell how much the advice is helping the American population.

Loren Rullman presents students with new opportunity

Applications are now open for the 2020-2021 Vice Provost Student Advisory Board (VSAB). VP of Student Affairs and Dean of Students, Loren Rullman, is inviting any enrolled student (undergraduate or graduate) to apply to be a member of VSAB. The Board meets monthly throughout the academic year to discuss topics facing the institution and of importance to students. The Board’s perspectives help Dean Rullman consider ways the Division of Student Affairs can better serve students. Applications close March 16 and can be found at gvsu.edu/studentaffairs/vsabapp.

Grand Rapids Public Library closes all locations

According to the Kristen Krueger-Corrado, Marketing and Communications Manager of the Grand Rapids Public Library, they will be closing down all locations amid COVID-19 concerns.

“In the interest of public health, all Grand Rapids Public Library locations will be closed starting Saturday, March 14 for the foreseeable future,” Krueger-Corrado said. “Library staff will extend due dates and waive fines on material during this time. Patrons can return items to outside book returns or keep the material until we reopen to the public. GRPL’s digital services will still be available for free, including eBooks and eAudiobooks; streaming TV, movie and music services; research databases; and digital subscriptions to magazines.” Updates on further changes to library services will be posted on grpl.org and on their social media pages. Additional resources regarding COVID-19 are available at grpl.org/coronavirus.

Late withdrawal date extended 

The recent change from in-person to online classes has sparked a necessary change in the university regarding late withdrawal dates. The former deadline to drop a class with a “W” was March 7, but this date has now been extended to April 6. This change has been made to support students who may struggle with the online learning atmosphere. In an email sent to professors March 15, the university said that “Emails can be used to expedite the approval process and retained as withdrawal documentation.”