GV Recreation Center Reopening: What to Know Before You Go

GVL / Sheila Babbitt

Kylie Elwell, Staff Reporter

Many students, staff, and community members have been waiting patiently for the Recreation Center on campus to reopen and that day finally arrived last Monday, Sept. 14th. Many users have already utilized the Rec this week, but here are some helpful reminders for the current rules and regulations that need to be followed while working out within the facility.

“We were excited to be able to open our doors to the campus community on Monday after being closed for six months,” Facilities Operations Coordinator Dionte McBride said.

There are quite a few rules that need to be followed while enjoying the fa

cility to meet social distancing requirements and they will all be heavily enforced for the time being. Face coverings are required while working out, except when users are swimming. Users must scan in at Desk A and scan out at Desk B when they are exiting, this helps student staff keep track of how many individuals are in the facility at once. There is a capacity limit so it is important to make sure you scan out when you are exiting the building.

“We have spaced out equipment to meet a 10-feet standard and ask students to only use machines that are currently open,” said McBride. “Machines that are not properly spaced have a sign noting the specific piece of equipment is offline.”

There are numerous wipe stations around the building for students to utilize, staff are asking that every user wipes down their station and/or machine after using it to make sure that it is sanitized for the next user who may use it. It is important that users also make su

re to wipe down the machines before their workout too, this is to make sure the chance of germs spreading from person to person is significantly lowered.

On top of students sanitizing their own machines and stations, the center utilizes a detailed list to keep track of sanitization.

“Our amazing student-workers have detailed cleaning lists at each station that are completed every hour,” McBride said.

Stations and common touchpoint areas are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized by them every hour to ensure maximum safety for everyone in the facility, including themselves.

All public areas, locker rooms, and restrooms are being regularly cleaned and sanitized in order to follow state guidelines and to reduce the spread of the virus to others. While all users are looking forward to getting back into a routine at the gym, it is important to make sure that all rules and regulations are being followed to maximize safety and cleanliness in the facility.