GV begins new “Be a Laker, Bring a Laker” program

Courtesy / GVSU

Haileigh Huber

Admissions at Grand Valley State University is kicking off the “Be a Laker, Bring a Laker” program, where they encourage the spread of laker pride to both high school and adult prospective students.

The program offers the resources needed to inspire prospective students to apply to GVSU. As GVSU’s community continuously grows, prospective students must get the correct information they need about their possible future as a laker.

“It provides resources and information that is necessary for prospective students to review, like scholarship and admissions information,” Admissions Counselor Michael Guerra said. 

“Be a Laker, Bring a Laker” consists of four steps. It asks participants to fill out a referral form, discuss the benefits of attending GVSU, help prospective students set up visits to tour the campus and provide them with the information needed on how to start the application process and to get them on the University’s mailing list. 

Kate Stoetzner, Director of International Student and Scholar Services, has referred two prospective students and believes that this program makes people feel comfortable and less intimidated.

“When they know someone who already has a connection to campus, it just formalizes the process,” Stoetzner said. 

Prospective students can access the program right from their phones, making it easy to pass information to admissions. “(It’s) good to get prospective students connected and give them information that’s pertinent to their specific interests,” Stoetzner said. 

Through this program, prospective students get information about GVSU from people who are community members and get encouragement from those who have been through the admissions process. 

“Lakers can provide a more well-rounded visit experience for their friends and family, prospective lakers can leave Grand Valley well informed, and the Admissions Office can be assured that accurate, factual, and helpful information is provided,” Guerra said. 

Professor of music Marlen Vavrikova has referred students to “Be a Laker, Bring a Laker” and believes that this program shows prospective students how welcoming the Grand Valley community is.

“At our university, we value communication and are student-centered,” Vavrikova said.