GV soccer continues to dominate this season, winning their 13th game

GVL+Archives

Caleb Worpel

GVL Archives

Josh Carlson, Staff Writer

After having two close matches in a row, the no. 1 ranked Grand Valley State University women’s soccer team shut down the Michigan Tech University Huskies at home 5-0 on Friday, Oct. 23, pushing their record to 13-0-1 overall and 10-0-1 in the GLIAC.

The Lakers put on a show, starting in the 18-minute mark when senior defender Cecilia Steinwascher sent a ball upfield to junior midfielder Darlene Radamaker, who sent a cross to the center of the box where freshman forward Taylor Reid was waiting to send it to the back of the net to make it 1-0. Right before the end of the first half, the Lakers would score again when powerhouse junior forward Greta DeLoach sent a ball to redshirt sophomore forward Chantel Carranza who slipped it by the goalkeeper to put the Lakers up 2-0 heading into the second half.

The Lakers continued to pour it on the Huskies, starting with sophomore forward Kennedy Bearden, and Reid’s assists to an open senior forward Catie Baron putting the Lakers up 3-0. Minutes later, Reid sent a ball upfield to Baron again who sent a rocket at the goalkeeper where she deflected the ball but was unable to stop the powerful shot from Baron, making it 4-0 Lakers.

National player of the week, DeLoach, launched her GLIAC leading, and third in Division II, 16th goal of the season off an assist from senior defender Makenna Schoolman, putting the Lakers up 5-0 and finishing the game for the win. The goal from DeLoach makes it seven straight games that she has scored in so far this season.

Despite the bad weather last weekend and the two games prior, coach Jim Conlon was happy with the execution his team went out and displayed for their 13th win.

“I thought tonight’s game was clean and tidy tactically,” Conlon said. “We supported each other on the field offensively, defensively, and in transition. The field conditions were a little wet and it (the weather) picked up there. They’re a very organized team that we played against, so to make sure we had each other’s backs was important, and I thought we strung some pieces together.”

With the Lakers seven assists, and five goals in the game, this adds to their already nation-leading assists per game (4.08) and no. 4 ranked scoring offense (45 goals). Conlon attributes this to the team-oriented play from a group of athletes that just want to win.

“I think we are trying to move the ball, and trying to make the right pass,” Conlon said. “They are unselfish and supporting each other in that offensive third. They might make that extra pass which ends up leading to the goal. Passing the ball and keeping possession is a key part of what we are doing, and I think that’s just naturally presenting itself in front of the net as well.”

The Lakers now only have four games remaining until post-season play begins, but Conlon said the focus is still on finishing out the games in front of them.

“The mindset right now is still to continue to grow one game at a time,” Conlon said. “Right now, we’re focused on the next opponent. Not necessarily the full four to end the season, but that next opponent; can we be better tomorrow and the next game than we were today.”

Next up on the Laker’s schedule, they’ll be traveling to Kenosha, Wisconsin to play the Parkside University Rangers on Friday, Oct. 29 for their twelfth game in the GLIAC Conference.