Muskegon Police continue investigation into death of GV student

Courtesy / mix957gr.com

Muskegon Police Department is continuing to investigate the death of Taleah Lowe, an 18-year-old GVSU student who drowned near Pere Marquette beach in Muskegon on Oct. 14.

In a press release on Oct. 15, the Muskegon Police department said the Medical Examiners office had ordered an autopsy be performed following recovery of the body. Muskegon Police Department Captain Shawn Bride said that investigators are still awaiting post-mortem results from a pathologist. 

“This is an open and ongoing investigation, with post mortem results pending,” Bride said. “I’ll have more details after the pathologist gives us a final report.”

GVPD shared on social media on Oct. 19 that the Muskegon Police Department report said there was nothing to indicate foul play.

“One of Lowe’s classmates with her at the beach called 911 at 10:46 pm on Oct. 14 reporting a water emergency with a missing swimmer, and Muskegon Fire Department Divers recovered Ms. Lowe’s body at approximately 1:26 am on Oct. 15 in the water,” Bride said.

Bride said strong rip currents were reported in the area where Lowe was last known to be located, an area bordered just to the north by an over 2,600-foot long channel break wall.

GVPD Assistant Director of Public Safety Captain Jeff Stoll said the Muskegon Police Department has not contacted GVPD for further information regarding the investigation.

“GVPD has not been contacted by the Muskegon Police Department to do any follow-up or to help them with anything,” Stoll said. 

Since the incident occurred in Muskegon, over 35 miles from GVSU, GVPD said it does not fall within their jurisdiction to investigate. However, Stoll said GVPD have not identified any threat of safety for GVSU students or the campus as a whole.

A GoFundMe organized by Lowe’s cousin Isaiah Lane raised $6,480 and is no longer accepting donations. In the post, Lane said the GoFundMe was raising money for funeral arrangements and a private investigator. Lane started the hashtag #JusticeForTaleah, which drew attention on social media.

According to Lane in the GoFundMe, Lowe’s family is suspicious of circumstances surrounding Lowe’s death. According to MLive, Lowe grew up near Lake Michigan in South Haven and dealt with partial paralysis in the left arm, which prohibited her from raising her harm past her chest. Her family is insisting that she would not have gone in the water under normal circumstances.

The Lanthorn will continue to cover the case as more information becomes available.