A&E Briefs 3/28

Sabrina Edwards, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Sustainability Showcase at GVSU

Grand Valley State University is holding a week long sustainability showcase. This event is in partnership with the environment and sustainability studies program. This event allows for the public to learn about research projects, innovative designs, sustainability assessments and community-engaged partnerships. The students presenting is based on their semester-long work. The show is a weeklong event lasting until April 2. On Friday there will be an in-person event from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Grand River Room. At the in-person event, students will be giving presentations on their projects, there will also be food and refreshments. Throughout the week the works can be viewed online at anytime.

Michigan Artist Series to host Carole Harris

Artist Carole Harris is being hosted by the Grand Rapids Art Museum. Harris is a quilt artist and her first piece was made in 1968 titled “The Wedding Quilt.” She created the piece after graduating from Wayne State University in 1966. She became an interior designer shortly after graduating. She is now retired and spends her free time creating art.

Her exhibit spans her life work, featuring the first produced quilt as well as her current works. She showcases her knowledge of fabrics, papers and other nontraditional materials. Those who attend will be shown the inspirations she has as well as themes that drive her work. Harris has been inspired by architecture, music, color and urban life. Gaining a lot of inspiration from Detroit in particular. Her city themed quilts showcase the rhythm of the city. Harris’s works will be on display until June 18, however the next chance to see it is March 29.

Celebrate National Crayon Day

On March 31, GVSU’s Campus Activities Board is hosting an event for National Crayon Day. The event runs from 10 a.m. until noon in the Kirkhof lobby. This will give students a chance to stop by and color to relax or just for fun. Those who stop by the table will also get a free GVSU cookbook and crayons.

GVSU to host 10th Anniversary Art Gallery

This year is the 10th anniversary of the composition competition. This competition showcases students’ works. There will be 17 alumni returning from across the U.S. to create 60 second works in response to the art showcased in the gallery. There will be a judging panel that will choose three cash award recipients. While the audience will choose their favorite to win a prize. The gallery will take place on March 31 at 7 p.m. in the Louis Armstrong Theatre.