Year in Review 2021-22: Opinion

yung gravy

Editorial Staff

How to get through the semester with a challenging professor

You have probably had your fair share of mean bosses, crappy coworkers and slacking friends.

When you get to college you will hear a lot about bad professors. Your one friend’s professor assigns too much homework. Another professor is a hard grader and no one ever gets an A.

Even in high school I had teachers I didn’t love. That doesn’t change in college. Instead of complaining about the professor that gave me an unfair grade or in accounting how I have three assignments due during the school week, let me tell you tips on how to get through the semester while having a bad professor.

Click here to read more of Maddie Zimmerman’s advice for dealing with tough professors.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announces most diverse nominee list yet

With 2022 just getting started, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH has released their nominees for this year’s inducting class, which looks to be their most diverse yet. This year’s nominees include Beck, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, DEVO, Duran Duran, Eminem, Eurythmics, Judas Priest, Fela Kuti, MC5, New York Dolls, Dolly Parton, Rage Against The Machine, Lionel Richie, Carly Simon, A Tribe Called Quest and Donnie Warwick.

To further explore Ayron Rutan’s deep dive into the Hall of Fame nominations, click here.

Robert Pattinson is the Darker Knight

As the highly anticipated 2022 DC blockbuster finally made its premier, people haven’t stopped raving about the darkest reboot yet of a beloved American superhero in Matt Reeves’  “The Batman.” This newest addition to the ever-expanding superhero genre tops all of the other Batman movies through stunning cinematography, an edgy soundtrack and booming scenes that push the comfort levels of its audience, incomparable to Nolan’s “The Dark Knight.” The darkness in Reeves’ version mirrors that of Todd Phillips’ 2019 “Joker” for its deeply-rooted commentary on crime and mental illness in an especially corrupted and grungy Gotham City.

Click here to read the rest of Holly Bihlman’s “The Batman” review.

FKA Twigs is reborn with ‘Caprisongs’

English singer-songwriter FKA Twigs is on the upswing with her new mixtape, “Caprisongs.” This is her first release since 2019, and after going through multiple public breakups, she’s reclaiming her sound and empowering herself through song.

Her previous release was her second studio album, “Magdalene.” It was moving, with every song was filled with her then-present emotion. She wrote this while she was in a dark time, and it was obvious in the tone of that album. When comparing these two, it’s obvious Twigs is in a much better place in her life now and that’s reflected in her most recent release.

To read more of Sabrina Edwards’ music review, click here.

Diagram of a Yung Gravy

GVL / Athena Jasman

Winter semester seems treacherous, cartoonist speculates

Welcome back, students! Enjoy the multiple, mutant strains of COVID-19, inclement weather, and homework. GVL / Xavier Golden