News Briefs 10/3

GVL+Briefs

GVL Briefs

Josh Alburtus, News Editor

Trump stumps for MI GOP candidates in Macomb County

Former President Donald Trump traveled to Michigan on Oct. 1 to rally support for the Republican party’s nominees for office.

Gathering at Macomb Community College in Warren, Republican hopefuls for various state and congressional offices hoped to energize a base in the state’s third most populace county and one that supported Trump in both his races for the presidency.

Nominees in attendance included gubernatorial candidate Tudor Dixon, attorney general nominee Matthew Deperno and secretary of state nominee Kristina Karamo.

While speaking, Trump and fellow Republicans took aim at growing concerns among the electorate including increased inflation under Democratic control in Washington and heightened crime rates in Michigan since Democrats took control of statewide offices in 2018.

Trump also reiterated false claims of voter fraud altering the outcome of the 2020 election that he said stripped victories from himself and others like then-U.S. Senate candidate John James, now running against Democrat Carl Marlinga to represent Michigan’s 10th U.S. Congressional District.

The rally came as Dixon, Deperno and Karamo all trailed their Democratic opponents in their races for statewide office, according to the most recent EPIC-MRA polling.

GV Campus Health Center hosts open house following new partnership

Grand Valley State University’s Campus Health Center hosted an open house on Sept. 27 to commemorate the university’s new partnership with local healthcare provider Trinity Health Medical Group.

The open house welcomed any and all members of the GVSU community who wished to meet Trinity staff and explore the Campus Health Center and its offerings.

According to GVNext, the event featured a ceremonial ribbon cutting by officials including GVSU President Philomena Mantella and an introduction of Trinity staff to community members in attendance.

GV area gas prices rise after weeks of decline

Following an extended period of steady declines in local gas prices, areas surrounding Grand Valley State University are again seeing rising costs at the pump reminiscent of the past summer.

According to the national gas price analysis organization GasBuddy, prices in the area surrounding GVSU were set between $4.03 and $4.19 as of Oct. 1.

The increase coincides with a national and statewide uptick in gas prices in recent days.

According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), the current national average for gas sits at $3.80 per gallon as of Oct. 1 – up from $3.70 a week prior. In Michigan, the average price sat at $4.16 per gallon on the same day compared to $3.89 one week prior. This currently makes Michigan the 10th most expensive state in the nation in terms of current gas prices.