News Briefs 10/31

GVL+Briefs

GVL Briefs

Josh Alburtus, News Editor

GV reopens Satellite Clerk’s Office for upcoming election

Grand Valley State University’s Office of Student Life has set up operations once again for its Allendale Township Satellite Clerk’s Office on the main level of the university’s Kirkhof Center.

Aiming to increase student voter turnout through easier accessibility to the voting booth, the Satellite Clerk’s Office will allow students living in Allendale Township to vote via absentee ballot inside Kirkhof Center.

For students not registered to vote in Allendale Township, the Satellite Clerk’s Office features resources to allow students to re-register to vote in Allendale or access clerk, candidate and election information for the precinct corresponding with the student’s registered address.

Poll shows high absentee voting rates in MI, consistent yet narrow leads for statewide Dems

In the latest statewide polling from national polling group Cygnal, over 40% of Michiganders surveyed said they have already voted by absentee ballot or are likely to do so prior to election day.

The poll showed nearly one-in-four voters surveyed (24.1%) having already voted via absentee ballot, while another 14.8% indicated they would “definitely” do so and 3% said they would “probably” do so.

The newest numbers come three days following the latest update from the Michigan Secretary of State, announcing that over 1.8 million absentee ballots had been requested across the state and that over 771,000 had been returned.

The poll also included updated numbers on the races for Michigan’s three statewide offices. Despite 53% of respondents indicating that they believed Michigan to be on the wrong track, they favored all three Democratic incumbents in these races.

Those surveyed favored incumbent Governor Gretchen Whitmer by a 7-point margin, 51% to 44%, incumbent Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson by an 8-point margin, 49% to 41%, and incumbent Attorney General Dana Nessel by a 4-point margin, 46% to 42%.

Judge to decide whether to bring trial in Lyoya murder case

61st District Judge Nicholas Ayoub is set to release his decision on Oct. 31 as to whether a trial will be held in the case of former Grand Rapids Police Officer Christopher Schurr.

Schurr stands accused of second-degree murder in the death of Congolese refugee Patrick Lyoya during a traffic stop in April. Video footage of the incident later released by the Grand Rapids Police Department showed Schurr tackling Lyoya during the incident and shooting Lyoya in the back of the head while on top of him.

According to the Detroit Free Press, the hearing in which Judge Ayoub will issue his decision will be held at 10 a.m.