Women’s basketball remains undefeated after two home games

GVL / Macayla Cramer

Gabriela Garbey and Anthony Clark Jr., Staff Writer, Sports Editor

Grand Valley State University women’s basketball had another big scoring weekend as they played two games at home against Tiffin University and the University of Findlay with final scores of 78-50 and 83-45 respectively. 

The Lakers played against Tiffin on Nov. 18 and opened up the game by taking a 9-2 lead as the game clock read 4:23 remaining in the first quarter. Just as it seemed the Dragons would knot up the score after a 2-7 scoring run (11-9), a good three-pointer by senior guard Emily Spitzley ignited an 11-4 surge by GVSU to build a 22-13 lead heading into the second period.

Redshirt freshman guard Nicole Kamin would be the first player to score in the second as a converted three-pointer was one of six field goals made by GVSU. The 10-minute period saw just 25-total points from both sides combined as a 15-10 scoring advantage by the Lakers put the team ahead 37-23 at the sound of the halftime buzzer.

Spitzely’s three-pointer and a true layup by redshirt sophomore center Joslyn Brennan put the Lakers up by 17 points (42-25) with 7:38 remaining in the third. 

GVSU’s strong defensive efforts have been a testament to their overall potential early in the season as they allowed the Dragons to score their highest amount of points in a quarter at just 14 total. The team would end the third with a 60-37 lead after a three-point conversion by redshirt sophomore guard Hadley Miller with just five seconds left on the clock and sending GVSU into the final period with nothing short of confidence.

More defensive stops and the team’s second-highest scoring percentage in a quarter (41.2% FG) put the game to bed as the Lakers amassed an 18-13 scoring period as the final score would read 78-50.

Three Lakers scored in double figures as Spitzley led the team with 17 points (game-high) with two steals and a block in 23 minutes. Kamin and redshirt sophomore guard Ellie Droste tied for 13 points apiece as 10 other players added to the scoring numbers as well. 

The team held Tiffin University to a poor 39.2% overall as 30 bench points and 24 second-chance points allowed GVSU to dominate their opponent.

Just under 24 hours later, the Lakers found themselves back inside the GVSU Fieldhouse Arena as they played the Findlay Oilers – a team they haven’t lost a matchup against while playing at home since the 2002 season (12-0 overall).

Droste opened up the box score with a successful three as the team would go on a 13-4 run against Findlay in a slow six and a half minutes (3:33 remaining). The remainder of the quarter saw the Lakers hold their nine-point lead as the score would read 19-10 heading into the second.

As noted previously, the Lakers’ strong defense forced two 10-second backcourt violations just over the first two minutes (7:50) and in the final 60 seconds of the first half (:45 seconds remaining in the second quarter). 

Between these turnovers, GVSU would allow just 11 points scored by the Oilers as the team itself put up its highest quarter total of the night (29 points) – extending the lead to 48-21 going into the break.

GVSU would only allow their lead to dwindle down to 23 points (48-25) after a converted layup by Findlay, but the offensive onslaught wouldn’t let up in the next 20 minutes of action. A 19-12 scoring advantage in the third, and a 16-12 advantage in the final quarter would finish the game with a lopsided score of 83-45 in favor of the Lakers.

As a leader of the team and one that holds themselves accountable, Spitzley believes the underclassmen of the team are already adapting well to the system and the team overall is ready to make a lot of noise this season.

“We have had a good start here our first four games now, and I think we are building a foundation of something we can build off going forward,” Spitzley said. “We got a lot of young players really settling into their roles; we have got some really talented players coming up right now (and) once we start to gel, I think this will be a really special year.”

Brennan and Spitzley were the team’s leading scorers with 13 and 12 respectively, as Droste added 11 to the team total with the addition of 10 points from sophomore guard Abrie Cabana. 

Currently holding a 4-0 record, GVSU will play another out-of-conference game prior to the start of action against GLIAC opponents next month. The team will host Northwood University at home on Nov. 26 with tip off at 5 p.m.