News Briefs 1/17

GVL+Briefs

GVL Briefs

Elizabeth Schanz, News Editor

MLK Day events at GV 

Jan. 16 is the celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday and serves as a day to recognize the work and life of the civil rights leader.

GVSU is holding various keynote speakers as part of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration held throughout the week. These events aim to explore various experiences and topics in connection with the holiday. 

On Jan. 17, scholar and chair of the Department of African American studies at Princeton University Eddie Glaude Jr. will speak at Kirkhof Center on the GVSU Allendale Campus. His work explores the American experience. Attendees can participate in the event in person or virtually. The event will take place from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Jerry Wallace, a GVSU alumni and current president of Danville Community College will be the keynote speaker on Jan. 18. He made history as the youngest president of the Virginia Community College system at age 38. The event will take place at Kirkhof Center and over Zoom from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m 

On Thursday Jan. 19, Mary Frances Berry, a civil rights, gender equality and social justice activist, will speak at the Charles W. Loosemore Auditorium on the GVSU Grand Rapids campus. The address will focus on the legacy of MLK Jr. and highlight current issues through the topics of race, protests and politics. The event runs from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The keynote speaker will be followed by light refreshments and community conversation. 

New bill in the Michigan senate proposes removal of Right-to-Work Law

Democrats in the Michigan senate proposed the removal of the state’s Right-to-Work law as part of the 2023-2024 year. Democrats said this plan aims to help Michigan workers. 

The Right-to-Work stops labor contracts from requiring workers to become union members or pay union fees as part of their employment. This law was originally signed in 2012 by Republican Gov. Rick Snyder and was viewed positively by the GOP. 

Many union members support repealing the current law. 

Currently, Democrats hold the narrow majority in both House and Senate leaving Republican officials to worry about how the push for removal would play out and many have emphasized focusing on bipartisan issues first.