Quick Hits 2/13

Anthony Clark Jr., Sports Editor

Basketball teams maintain winning streaks at home

Both the Grand Valley State University men’s and women’s basketball teams hosted Michigan Tech and the Northern Michigan Wildcats in a successful week of games.

Feb. 9 saw victories for both sides as the women’s team took a dominating 60-43 win led by redshirt freshman guard Paige Vanstee (13 points, six rebounds) followed by redshirt sophomore guard Ellie Droste with 10 points – season series 1-1.

The men’s team also defeated the Huskies in a tight battle (79-74) to close the season series 2-0 with junior forward Marius Grazulis dropping a near double-double (17 points, nine rebounds).

GVSU also defeated the Wildcats 64-52 (women’s) and 81-75 (men’s) Feb. 11 with Vanstee (11 points) and Grazulis (24 points, seven rebounds) leading their teams once again.

GV tennis takes down Walsh

In a bounce-back meeting after their disappointing start to the spring season, the GVSU tennis teams both defeated the Cavaliers 6-1 each.

For doubles matches, five of six pairs finished with victories.

Women’s: senior Taylor Barrett and junior Vasileia Griva (6-2), freshman Rachel Sam and sophomore Estefania Hernandez (6-4) and freshmen Amanda Diaz and Anna Soteras (6-4).

Men’s: seniors Unai Gonzalez and Sean Miller (6-2), senior Jack Dusman and Freddy Cossio (6-4) and freshman Patricio Sepulveda and senior Martin Matov (4-6 loss).

For single’s action, all athletes besides Matov and junior Sophia Hanover won their matchups.

Lakers continue setting the tone during track and field Big Meet

GVSU hosted a two-day meet last weekend that led to personal bests and national records. 

Junior Myles Kerner made history for the men’s shot put as his distance of 19.57m not only broke the GVSU record, but the Big Meet and Kelly Family Sports Center records as well. This mark also placed Kerner on the national list for the category.

The men’s side also saw a first-place finish in the 4×400 relay event as freshman Fallou Gaye, graduate student Jackson Blanchard, freshman Ben Ireland and junior Miles Rhodes (3:13.61) received an NCAA DII provisional mark with their victory.

For the women’s events, junior Natalie Graber (9:22.48) dominated the women’s 3000m run and was placed No. 1 on the Women’s National List for first-place victory in the event as she was followed by her teammate, freshman Lauren Kiley, who finished second (9:30.46) and was ranked No. 3 on the list.

Junior Klaudia O’Malley, freshman Kate Zang, sophomore Taryn Chapko and Graber hit the trifecta record for the program, Kelly Family and the Big Meet for the women’s 4000m distance medley relay (DMR) with a time of 11:18.68.