GV baseball continues win streak ahead of starting conference action

Courtesy / GVSU Athletics

Breanna Hammer, Staff Writer

The Grand Valley State University men’s baseball team continued their impressive start to the season as they earned their seventh-straight win against Hillsdale College in an 11-3 finish. 

Although the team is currently 11-4 overall and streaking, junior Nathan Logan noted the March 21 victory was the first complete win of the year for the Lakers in all facets, spotlighting the potential they have this season.

“From hitting, to pitching, to defense, we had contributions across the board,” Logan said. “This win speaks to the depth we have on this team, and how we all pull for each other.”

Going the distance of nine innings, Logan, senior Spencer Nelson, junior Kyle Nott and sophomore Carter Rohman all led GVSU with two runs each. Sophomores Logan Anderson, Brendan Guciardo and junior MacArthur Graybill would also follow it up with a single home run each. 

A slow beginning to the season after three-straight losses to UIndy dug the Lakers into a hole that seemed as though it would be hard to get out of. However, a tremendous 9-1 turnaround in the RussMatt Invitational ended in a five-game streak after their only loss of the tournament and their fourth of the season to Minnesota State-Manko.

Head Coach Jamie Detillion described how it was a challenge playing the fifth game (Minnesota) the morning after two double headers, but was proud of how the team bounced back to start their seven-game winning streak.

One game that really stood out to Detillion was the bout against Wilmington University as GVSU would tally just two hits to the Wildcats’ five, but still managed to walk away with a 2-0 victory.

“The two-hitter game; if you only get two hits in a game, you have about a 90% or higher chance of losing that game,” Detillion said. “Timing is important, it’s one of those little things that stand out and demonstrates the fact that we have a competitive group this season.”

Opening a season in a slump is hard to get out of, more so when a team has a roster full of young players. With 10 true freshmen and one redshirt on the Laker roster, Logan believes the underclassmen have held their own and bought into the game plan.

“The younger guys have done a really good job of embracing our work ethic, and the discipline shows in their everyday work habits,” Logan said.

Detillion said this same work ethic is passed down by the upperclassmen who he believes has brought in the young players and shown them how to be prepared for big moments.

“These older players look at the younger players with a, ‘They’re with us’ mentality, let’s show them how we do things, and help them become a part of us,” Detillion said.

Sitting at No. 3 in the GLIAC and one of two teams in the conference who has yet to start GLIAC action, the Lakers are all looking forward to the possibility of extending their streak.

Postponements have already hit GVSU’s schedule as they were initially matched up against Purdue Northwest this past weekend.

Instead, the doubleheader was pushed back to March 27, followed by a single match against Davenport University March 28. GVSU also has their home-opening weekend with two doubleheaders against the No. 1 GLIAC opponent Wayne State (March 31) and Parkside (April 2) with both dates starting at 1 p.m.