Quick Hits 8/7: Summer wrap-up

Softball looms large but falls in National Championship Series

The Grand Valley State University softball team reached the National Championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee after an incredible run in the regular and postseasons. The Lakers impressed with a 48-8 record overall and an incredible 20-1 record in conference play. The Lakers softball team did not lose a game at home (12-0).

After battling their way through the postseason, the Lakers approached the National Championship Series on an eight game winning streak, falling in two straight of a best-of-three to North Georgia.

Head Coach Dana Callihan has tallied an impressive 352-96 (0.789) record in her nine seasons. Callihan earned her sixth straight Coach of the Year in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Conference (GLIAC). Eleven of her players earned All GLIAC accolades.

Redshirt Senior Lydia Goble won GLIAC Player of the Year while her fellow Redshirt Senior Hannah Beatus was awarded her third straight conference Pitcher of the Year.

Men’s and Women’s track and field finish strong in nationals 

The GVSU men’s and women’s track and field teams both reached the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) National Championship games. The Lakers men finished in fourth place while the Lakers women finished fifth overall. The two squads had athletes that earned some national recognition and impressed along the way.

The Lakers’ Taryn Chapko (800m), Klaudia O’Malley (1500m) and Natalie Graber (5000m) all finished in the women’s top eight of their respective categories. 

Myles Kerner reached third in the men’s shot put while Eli Kosiba and Jonathan Rankins-James, both high jumpers, placed in the top ten as well. Kosiba finished fifth and Rankins-James finished seventh.

For the United States of America Track and Field (USATF) Outdoor Championships the Lakers did not disappoint. Perhaps the biggest accomplishment of the day was Kosiba finishing fourth in the high jump against 18 of the top high jumpers in the country, regardless of collegiate or professional standing. Rankins-James placed at 12 among the same group of 18.

Women’s Lacrosse program climbs to new heights 

After a dominant 16-5 season (6-0 in conference) the GVSU Lakers’ Women’s Lacrosse team reached the NCAA Final Four in the program’s first season having ever won their region. The Lakers defeated Indianapolis in the Midwest Regional Finals 11-10 to advance to the NCAA Final Four.

The team boasted three First Team All Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) Midwest Region honorees as well as four Second Team players in their run to the Final Four. The seven total Lakers also received various levels of All GLIAC recognition following the regular season.

One of the Lakers’ First Team Midwest Region players, Maddy Bursinger, was named GLIAC Midfielder of the Year. Fellow First Teamer Maddy Champagne was awarded with GLIAC Attacker of the Year.