News Briefs 9/5

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

GVSU campus bridge construction completed

The Little Mac Bridge at Grand Valley State University’s construction is finished.

The bridge, connecting Henry Hall to the Great Lakes Plaza on the Allendale campus, was closed off to foot traffic on both ends for the past few weeks. The construction began shortly after a decision was made to move forward with renovations by the GVSU Student Senate. The bridge received new paint and a revamped, safer design.

The new bridge is meant to be more campus-friendly and features higher fences, a motion put into action after the death of a student on campus in Dec. 2021.

The timing for construction on the bridge caused interference for some students because the bridge had been closed for both freshman move-in and the first week of classes. This caused students with classes in those locations to take an out-of-the-way path because they couldn’t cross the bridge, raising the travel time across campus.

The construction has ended and the Little Mac Bridge is back open for traffic as Lakers return to campus following the Labor Day weekend.

GVSU reminisces on Jimmy Buffett’s life

American music icon Jimmy Buffett has died at age 76 on Sept. 1. Grand Valley State University celebrates his life and offers condolences to fans and family through an Instagram post dedicated to his memory.

The university’s post featured a poster from a free concert Buffett performed at the college in 1974. Buffett was joined by artist Cabbage Crick for this outdoor performance on the Student Center Lawn at what was then known as Grand Valley State College. Buffett’s performance took place a few months following the release of his fourth album entitled, “Living and Dying in 3/4 Time.” The album contains his very first Top 40 charting single “Come Monday” and kicked off the beginning of what has been referred to by fans as his “Key West” phase. Buffett’s involvement at GVSU in the 1970s offers current students a look into the past and excitement for the future of entertainment. Buffett was still early on in his music career for the GVSC performance and quickly after shot to stardom.

GVSU has continued to feature musical artists and live performances around campus. Most recently, the hip hop and rap artists T-Pain and Yung Gravvy performed in 2022 and 2021 as part of the annual GVSU Spring Concert.

The country music and soft rock star’s health has been in decline for some time, according to a statement by Buffett’s team through his official website. The singer had battled a rare form of skin cancer, Merkel Cell Skin Cancer, for the past four years. Buffett continued to play shows while enduring cancer treatments up until this July. His very last performance was a surprise appearance in Rhode Island.

Spanning more than 50 years, Buffett’s career as a musician and a businessman made him one of the most financially successful music artists of all time, according to his website. Buffett built and expanded the Margaritaville franchise of hotels and restaurants, among other lifestyle brands, as well as authored many books.

The Buffett family requests donations and charity from fans and friends be given to Jimmy Buffett’s Foundation Singing for Change, among others.