The art of making and maintaining friends in college

Every single person in college wants to feel accepted. They want to feel accepted by who they are, what they like and by others around them. Besides doing well in classes, making friends is among the biggest worries for students in college. I am here to assure you that you don’t have to worry any longer. Here are my tips for making friends and keeping them in college. 

There is a common misconception that if you don’t find a friend group freshman year, then you are never going to find one in college. That couldn’t be the farthest thing from the truth, coming from a college senior. I am still making friends during my senior year that I wouldn’t have thought of my freshman year. Never think it is “too late” to make friends. College is the best time to reach out to people. Everyone is in the same boat if you think about it.

Since college is the best place to meet people our age, never be afraid to just ask. What I mean by this is to never hold yourself back from asking someone to hang out, study together or even just exchange social medias. Most of the time, it is always a yes from the other person. The best way to go about making friends is to ask people in classes. You are already sitting in the same classroom for about 12 weeks, so why not get to know the person? This way you will also have a built-in study buddy in the class. I always try to make it a rule of thumb to get to know one person in each of my classes. When you get to know someone, always ask for their social media or their number— whatever you are more comfortable with. This way, you will now have a way to contact them. 

Don’t put the expectations on yourself that every single person you meet will automatically be your new best friend. You will meet so many people along your college journey. Some will be your best friends, some will be people you see occasionally and some you will never talk to again. That is okay. Go into things with an open mind, but don’t put high expectations on yourself at the end of the day. 

My number one tip for how to keep friendships going as you progressively get busier in college is to prioritize your friendships and friend time outside of the classroom. Life gets busy, especially for the typical college student. Make sure you are prioritizing still seeing your friends. Make a night every so often that your friends come over, and you have a movie night. If you are super busy with homework, invite a friend to go with you to the library or to a coffee shop. Your friends will see that you are putting in the effort, which will only strengthen your friendships.

Also, make sure that you are letting your friends know when you need alone time. Not everyone likes to hang out 24/7. Make sure that you and your friends are on the same page with how much you are available and how much you want to hang out during the school year. Always communicate with your friends, and this will save your friendships in the long run.

Overall, please don’t stress yourself out when you think you are the last one to find a friend group. I am a senior currently and have never had a set friend group. Instead, I have a few individual friends who make up small groups. Never compare people’s social media posts about their to yours. Instead, find fulfilling friendships and devote some time to them. Friendships are like anything else in life, you get out what you put in.