News Briefs 9/25

GVL+Briefs
GVL Briefs

Auto workers strike as conflict for fair compensation continues

The United Auto Workers union continues to strike against some of the biggest Detroit automotive manufacturing companies in the market. On Friday, they expanded the strike to 38 parts-distribution centers in 20 states operated by General Motors and Jeep & Ram owner Stellantis. Ford corporations were spared any additional walkouts in the expansion.

The Associated Press reports the union still has plenty of leverage in its corner to persuade the auto companies to agree to significant increases in pay and benefits.

“Only about 12% of the union’s membership is so far taking part in the walkout. The UAW could if it chose to, vastly expand the number of workers who could strike assembly plants and parts facilities of General Motors, Ford and Stellantis, the owner of the Jeep and Ram brands,” David Koenig writes

The strike has garnered federal support, with word reaching all the way to the Whitehouse. President Joe Biden proclaims his support for the UAW movement, going to social media to announce his plans to support automotive workers in the U.S.

“Tuesday, I’ll go to Michigan to join the picket line and stand in solidarity with the men and women of UAW as they fight for a fair share of the value they helped create. It’s time for a win-win agreement that keeps American auto manufacturing thriving with well-paid UAW jobs,” Biden said in a post to X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.

Larger fears of job elimination due to the production and popularization of electric vehicles also contribute to the scale of the strike, according to PBS reporter William Bringham.

Talks are in motion with the Big Three motor companies and the UAW, but no solution is currently on the horizon.

GVSU Professors to discuss academic freedom with WGVU

Professor Andrew Spear, Chair of the Philosophy Department at Grand Valley State University, will be discussing the state of academic freedom with WGVU on Wednesday morning.

The Koeze Business Ethics Initiative Director (within the Seidman College of Business) Michael DeWilde will join Spear on the Shelley Irwin Show on Sept. 27. DeWilde is a professor of management at Seidman College of Business, but previously worked as a professor in the psychology department as well.

The discussion will provide insight into the conditions of higher education, and the pressures placed on faculty and educators regarding the content they are allowed to teach and the benchmarks students should know.

Students, faculty, staff and community members can tune in to hear the discussion at 9:30 a.m.